Silber Adler Gau Thuringen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silber Adler Gau Thuringen

Does anyone have an example or a photograph of the Silver Eagle medal for Gau Thuringen (Thuringia)?
    Don Bible

Don, Do you mean the Gau Thuringen badge in silver?

Comment

Erich,
      I think that might be the one. It is entered into a copied SS record that I am researching. It is listed in the blank space on the form which has a printed block for "Gold. Parteiabzeichen".

Handwritten into the block is the words: "Thür. Gauadler * 8.12.39"

At the time I posted the question, I did not think about the Gau Thüringen badge. I assumed it was some kind of medal, as the person it was awarded to was a Landrat of Kreis Meiningen, in Gau Thüringen.

In another one of his records, listed under Orden und Ehernzeichen, what may be the same award is described as "D.A. d. N.S.D.A.P. in br". Was there a German Eagle in bronze?

Was the Gau Thüringen badge also awarded in bronze? As I am not a medal or badge collector, any help or suggestions in learning what medal or badge this refers to, will be appreciated. Thanks
      Don Bible

Comment

Don, The Gau Thuringen badge was awarded to the 1st 1500 or so members of the NSDAP in the Gau. The bronze badge exists but there is no period info on it at this time. Period sources only mention the silver.

Comment

Thank you Erich for your information.
          Don Bible

Comment

Originally posted by Don Bible View Post

In another one of his records, listed under Orden und Ehernzeichen, what may be the same award is described as "D.A. d. N.S.D.A.P. in br". Was there a German Eagle in bronze?
            This description could be more significant than you realise Don. As Erich has mentioned, so far no period info has arisen regarding the broze badge & many collectors have been cautious with this award. Most of the ones in collections came from the same source & were still in their paper envelopes.

A listing for it on a file is very interesting......

Cheers
            Don

Comment

Don, Here's a photo of my cased Gau Thuringen Badge.
              Attached Files

Comment

Don, thank you for your comments, I am in an area here in which I have no knowledge or experience. It is all incidental to learning as much about this SS officer as I can. He was a WWI veteran, but did not serve in WWII, except as follows.

He was a Landrat in Meiningen, and once the head of the police in Zella-Mehlis from 1930-34. He was also a member of the Thuringian internal affairs ministry. He was a close friend of old Fritz Walther of the Walther factories in Zella-Mehlis, who presented him with a beautiful gold engraved pistol on his 50th birthday (Ivory Grips with his initials inlaid), in memory of their many enjoyable hours in the forest (hunting?).

The gun is shown in Vol II of Rankins book. It appears to be an equal piece to that presented to Gauleiter Sauckel of Thuringia.

Erich, thank you for showing this beautiful example of your cased Gau Thüringen badge. It is a real showpiece.

I can tell that both of you are very knowledgeable in this field, so I will ask the following question for an opinion.

Since the last entries in the SS records of the man I am researching were made in 1943, do you think that perhaps the badge we know today as the Gau Thüringen badge, was the SAME badge referred to twice in this man's records as one of his awards?

In one instance it is called "Thür. Gauadler" and gives the award date of 8.12.39. I take this to be Eagle of Gau Thüringia....which it certainly is.

In the other instance it is called "D.A. d. N.S.D.A.P. in Br." In this case I assume it means German Eagle of the N.S.D.A.P. in Bronze.

Comments requested and welcomed!!
                Don Bible

Comment

What would the D.A. in the description stand for? Deutsches Abzeichen? Der Adler? Deutscher Adler? If Thur. Gauadler is written in, do the 2 correlate? Would not a T or G be in the abbreviation also or were all gau badges referred to by using the D.A. d. NSDAP?
                  Richard V
                  Last edited by Richard; 04-04-2008, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I am speculating that the entry meant "Deutscher Adler der N.S.D.A.P.", however as I stated before I am in unfamilar territory here. I am asking...not making a statement.

I don't know if the other Gau badges were also referred to in the same way. That is one of the things I hope someone here can tell me.

It may be only implied in this case as there are other entries in both the record entries that clearly show that the man was from Thuringia. Was that also done for other Gau?
                    Don Bible

Comment

I think "D.A. der NSDAP in br." might be short for "Dienst Abzeichen" or the NSDAP Service Cross in Bronze for 10 years. Sounds like he might qualify for this award.

The Adlerorden was not an NSDAP award, it was a civil honour.

Comment

Steve is absolutely correct. "D.A. der NSDAP in Br." = NSDAP 10 Yr Cross in Bronze.

Stan

Comment

Hello,

the "D.A." is an abbreviation for "Dienstauszeichnung" (Service Cross).

The correct name is "Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP in Bronze" (it was already said).

Kind Regards

Max_Porter

Comment

Many thanks to Richard, Stephen, Stan and Max. It seems to be a consensus that the medal is now properly identified. In addition to that medal the following are listed in the same record.

They are E.K. I, II; K.V.K. These are in addition to the D.A. d. N.A.S.D.P. in. Br. These are all listed under the notation "Orden und Ehrenzeichen"

In another part of the record under the notation "Gold. Parteiabzeichen" is where the other award is listed as: "Thür. Gauadler * 8.12.39

Does that pertain to Gau Thüringia Badge ??

This was his last record notation 1.7.43

Thanks again for all the help from all of you.
                            Don Bible

Comment

Dienstauszeichnung!!! Great, my mind is going. This was too obvious.
                              Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X