danzig second class cross medal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

danzig second class cross medal help

can anyone please help me with infomation on the history and what to look for with the danzig 2nd class medal with ribbon.

i have just obtained one for 450 e with the mini but i do not know alot about the piece.on the one i am obtaining i notice that the crown has round holes but they are open at the top of the holes.

i have noticed on others that these are not open at the top,is this a defect or warning of fake.makers mark is B.v.A. hulse-berlin ( the e on the huls looks more like a back to front e ) i will post pics when i can get my friend to do this for me

thankyou in advance
    Last edited by chris clark; 07-22-2003, 01:13 PM.

pics

sorry made right mess trying to post pics on my own.will try later

Comment

I have to admit that personally I never knew that the danzig 2nd class even
      had a mini? Will be interesting to see it...

Comment

Pics

Front Pic
        Attached Files

Comment

REAR pic
          Attached Files

Comment

mini !!
            Attached Files

Comment

Danzig

Chris-

Looks like an Imperial award - you might want to post this in the Imperial Forum if it is indeed Imperial... However, I am not personally knowledgeable about this piece.

Kevin

Comment

Have you bought these pieces? Do you have the items in your possetion? I might be able to help you more if they are with you.

Comment

It's Nazi era, with just 254 awarded. That's usually considered a correct maker, but boy does that reverse appear crude. Looks like a casting rather than a silky smooth die struck piece (Take a good magnifier and verify that those are real rivets and not just cast to look like rivets). Crown is deviant as previously noted.

The mini is worth a question as well. This award was established in 1939. Was anybody issuing or wearing minis by then? I'm trying to think of any others from that era but am coming up blank.

If it's good it was a screaming bargain. I haven't picked up the new Forman, but he catalogued the regular medal at $600 a decade ago. That would likely put it at $1000+ today. Hope you got lucky!

Comment

the rivits are rivits not look alikes.in the huskins price book it lists this item and a mini version also.more to debate here i feel but thankyou for your responces keep them coming

Comment

with the feed back on this thread i am agreeing that this is not the 100% thing.with the holes on the crown and differant rivits and no knowledge of a mini i am passing on this offer to purchase.many thanks again to you all with this thread..chris

Comment

Booth these comes from Kalies Auktionshaus/Ordenshandlung Hamburg. Its real rivets....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X