Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Medal ID

Hello all,

A friend of mine purchased this medal along with a bunch of other stuff. Now he wants to know what it is and if it's original. I couldn't help him as I've never seen anything like it so he asked if I could post it here and perhaps you guys could help.

Eagerly awaiting your replies.

Greg

Reverse

Comment

Hunting Association award

Greg: I might be stating the obvious, but it looks to be some sort of Hunting Association award from the city of Hagen. The front side reads - "Common Interest before self Interest". However the backside I'm not too sure of.... but it looks to say something about hunting/shooting. Hope this helps.

John
      Last edited by Market Garden; 07-11-2003, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Greg,

The back says it's for a Gau-level shoot of former hunters and shooters. "Ehem." is for ehemälige or former, though why they would be "former" hunters and shooters I don't know. The crest at the top I think is for the Deutschen Jägerschaft (or maybe it was Jagdschaft), the national Association of Hunters. Looks like the earlier version of the crest, before the NSDAP took it over. I've not seen this medal before, though.

Regards,
        Greg
        sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
        www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Thank you.

Hi guys,

We had already come to the conclusion that it was some type of hunting or shooting assoc. medal but couldn't tell if it was good or not. My feeling is that it's not. If you look at the suspension ring it looks to be out of round and appears to be poorly constructed. The medal itself also has a "cheap" feel to it. I wouldn't discount it totally though as it's not an official piece so the whole quality factor may not apply. It may be the best that this particular org. might have been able to produce at the time.

Thanks for your input so far and hopefully someone else will see it and exclaim "Eureka" and be able to give me the full story.

Thanks again,
          Greg
          Last edited by polen39; 07-11-2003, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Jäger medal

I think it's probably good. These would have been available for anyone attending the event to purchase for a small price. They are cheaply made because basically they are a tinnie in medal form.
            Interesting piece!
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

IMHO this is original and was a very early "consolidation" piece. Event medals rather than pins/tinnies were a fairly well established tradition among shooting organizations and I've seen groups with twenty or thirty medals in them; all no more than event medals.

The reverse design and message likely indicated what, at the time, was not so subtle a message that this was a confab of old state and private organizations under the new Nazi umbrella.

Comment

Thank you.

Hello fellas,

Thanks for your quick replies. I will pass all this information on to my friend. He will be happy to hear all of your thoughts and ideas on this one.

Thanks again,
                Greg

Comment

If the piece is made from a quality metal..ie not a cheap casting I would say it is good...from the pictures it looks good to me,,,they would not reproduce such an item from scratch is it is not too desirable--ie its not, but not something that everybody is after...if they were to copy such a piece it would probably be a cast copy made from a real one...for those reasons I think it is real, John

Comment

I think the inscription on the reverse refers to a Gau level shooting match for veterans of army Jäger and Schützen (= light infantry). The Imperial army had independent Jäger and Schützen batallions. Also see the symbol which matches the Imperial army Kaiserpreis shooting awards for Jäger and Schützen.

Kind regards.

Schleppfux

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X