Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPB on Estand

Hi All!

I'm looking at buying this GPB on estand, but the numbers on the back worry me. The 3 is flat and 4 closed. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Yours in Service,

Jason
    Attached Files

back
    Attached Files

Comment

The badge is original. It has the rotograved numbers which is correct.

Comment

I agree with Erich, nothing wrong with this one.

Regards,
        Chris G.

Comment

I agree with the above statements. That is a nice badge. I liked it myself when I first saw it.

John

Comment

I am also curious to what the other numbers and letters scratched to the reverse of the badge is or indicate? Just curious I guess.

John

Comment

Information

Hello, the following information might be of interest that I just found via geocities, further information can be found on the Geocities website

Fortunately, these new and convincing fakes have several subtle flaws. Examine the photos below to see how they vary from genuine badges.
              1. Large Deschler Badge

The large Deschler badge has at least four distinguishing features from a genuine badge - two on the front and two on the reverse. The fake badge is the same dimensions as a real one, and the lettering and finish is very close as well.
              The first difference is the enamel. On genuine badges it is translucent like red glass. These fakes have red enamel that is more opaque, although the next generation of these badges now circulating have corrected this. There is a correct number of oak leaves, and the only difference is the fake has a more pronounced center ridge. It is more evident in an artificially aged piece like below than in a shiny one, like on the preceding page. Genuine Gold Party Badges do not corrode in the same way as artificially aged badges. Gold is very resistant to tarnish, and artificial aging of fakes often leaves them with exaggerated black or green patches.

<CENTER> </CENTER>
              The reverse of the fake large Deschler badge is also designed to deceive. The pin-plate attachment is superior than found on most fakes. The "GES. GESCH." mark is in convincing characters. Fortunately the reverse has at least one and sometimes two flaws.
              The pinplate is not correct for a Deschler badge - specifically, the bottom edge is too straight and the lettering of the maker name is close but not quite right. These new fakes do not use the proper number font common to Deschler badges. The pictured example shows numbers that are slightly too tall and narrow. Impressed member numbers on large Deschler badges are fatter and more rounded.
              A close-up shows another problem with the numbers. Impressed numbers on Deschler badges do not use a flat-topped "3" as shown, and the "4" should be open at the top and not closed. (NOTE: There is a genuine variation that uses what is known as "rotograving" to engrave numbers on large Deschler badges. These do typically use a flat-topped "3" and a closed "4". It is not found as often as impressed numbers on genuine badges, and can be identified as genuine by the existence of small swirls inside the engraved
              Regards Martin
              Last edited by Martin Harding; 12-17-2007, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure how to tell if they were rotograved numbers just by the picture. I'm sure in hand I could tell, but you always take a chance with pictures. I'm learning.

Jason

Comment

Deschler Badge

The Deschler fake
                  Attached Files

Comment

Once you see and hold original badges it's not too hard to figure out which are real and which are not. But there may come a day......

Comment

Can anyone make out what is scratched on the reverse? Looks like "Sch...er 22,098" above and below 31540 and then also at 10 - 11 o'clock

Rob
                      Last edited by Rob Johnson; 12-17-2007, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Like Erich said: Good badge with roto engraved number

Regards, Theo
                        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                          Once you see and hold original badges it's not too hard to figure out which are real and which are not. But there may come a day......

Very true, Erich. The fakes are getting better and better... Handling and studying unquestionable originals and of course networking with other collectors is our best defense!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson View Post
                            Can anyone make out what is scratched on the reverse? Looks like "Sch...er 22,098" above and below 31540 and then also at 10 - 11 o'clock

Rob

Rob raises an interesting point. The badge is original with rotograved numbers (glad my Gold Party Badge website is of some help), but the extra faint writing is curious. It almost looks like it was a previous number, but it is too faint to have been engraved and ground off. I wonder if it is a pencil or scratched guide for the jeweler as to how it was to be engraved with a name and number, but then was used for a different party member when it was actually engraved.

Just a thought

Comment

I also agree this badge is 100% original.

sjl, you're website is very helpful indeed! It's a great resource for information about the GPB. I've referred to it many times myself, with great success. Thanks for taking the time to create it!

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X