Roemrycke Berge or Berge Roemrycke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roemrycke Berge or Berge Roemrycke

Does anyone know where 'Roemrycke Berge' or Berge Roemrycke' is in Germany? I know it's mentioned on an HJ tinnie as being in the vicinity of Berg Burg in Burgisch Land, but I'm trying to see if it's in a town or where specifically it is. The name means Roman mountain, so I assume it's in an area that the Romans had settled.
    Thanks,
    Erich
    Festina lente!

?????

Erich-

Are you sure of the spelling ? Google strikes out which is unusal

Comment

Are you sure it's in Germany?

The name sounds more Belgian or Dutch than German.

Richard

Comment

RB

Thanks guys--I know it's in the Bergischland area--If you have the Manion's Tinnie book vol. 1, there is an HJ tinnie on page 59, Nr. 186, that reads "Bergische Heimatspiele/ Schloss Burg/Oberbann HJ Roemryke Berge". I've also seen it referred to as Berge Roemrijke, and Berge Roemryke. But I can't find the exact area.
        Thanks, and maybe one of our German members may be familiar with the area. I assume it's in Niederrhein, or?
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

A Google search turns up a zillion references. Here's one of their machine translations of a segment of one site that may get you close.

"The name of the Bergi country refers to the mountain and hill landscape east the Rhine, between Ruhr and victory, which gave the count von Berg their name. This ruler gained a foothold more than 900 years ago here and developed it to two territories, mountain and Mark. The later duchy mountain, came 1815 to the Prussian Rhine province, its northern part belonged since then to the governmental district Duesseldorf , its southern to the governmental district Cologne. But the inhabitants of this region held and keep the consciousness of former self-sufficiency and unit alive."

Comment

BR

Thanks VerKuilen! I am hoping that someone in Germany will be able to tell me where the hill is, or in what specific town. Your section quoted does narrow it down somewhat!
            Thanks again,
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

the nearest town would be Remscheid- which forms a triangle with Düsseldorf an Köln- should be easy to find on any map.

Gruß,
              KSM

Comment

Schloss Burg?

Hi,

This sounds like it might be Schloss Burg near Wuppertal "im Bergischen Land".

What makes it difficult is the many possibilities resulting from the alternative spelling of Burg or Berg.

If you can get the right name, it will be possible to find it.

Schloss Burg is a rather nice old castle rebuilt at the end of the 19th century on the old castle ruins. It also has a museum of cutlery, i.e. knives, and many of the well-known dagger manufacturers are represented there - but not by any Third Reich daggers. The exhibits range from bronze age daggers right up until today's modern knives and scissors.

ttfn,

David

Kai: Von wegen der Frosch hüpft - dieser schwimmt, radelt und läuft auch ganz ordentlich.

Comment

yes- thats exactly the place-
                  since its near solingen THE knife center of germany the museum seems appropriate

Gruß,
                  KSM

PS: David: Ich kanns nicht ändern, ist nur ein Zitat - wie schauts- machst du biathlon oder wie?

Comment

RB

Thanks! I was hoping someone might be familiar with the specific place/hill 'Roemrycke Berge'. I've got an early SA piece for an SA unit from that area. I can't find the actual place on a map, but had found old photos of Berg Burg (or Schloss Burg?) listing it as 'near Wuppertal' but not more specific.
                    Oh well, if the dollar ever recovers it's time for another trip to Deutschland and I can look around that area~!
                    Erich
                    Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X