JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large swastika and wreath badge, what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large swastika and wreath badge, what is it?

Greetings,
    I attended a moving sale the other day and found four Third Reich items just by chance. For sale was a small Party flag, 2nd class War Merit Cross, a cigarette photo album on Hitler, and this item. All were very nice (especially the small flag), but since I was short on money and my Wife was along (odd but the two often go together!), I could only spring for this badge and nothing else. At any rate, this item really caught my eye as I have never seen anything quite like it. The seller is a self confessed pack rat and bought this at an estate sale of a WW2 vet. All four items were in the bottom of a box filled with old German and English books and the family was only aware (as was the buyer) of the Hitler cigarette album.
    The badge is quite heavy and rather large. The swastika is made out of brass and appears to have been nickel plated with about 40% of this finish remaining. The oak leaf wreath is silver and has a moderate amount of patina to it. It is fastened to the swastika by the means of two pins. The small enamel shield is 100% intact and has a very odd set of figures on it. It almost looks like a stylized HJ, but that doesn't explain the center figure. There is a long pin and catch on the back side but no maker's marks or any other markings are visible. At some point it took a pretty good hit as both of the arms on the swastika that hold the pin hinge and catch are bent. Also the pin itself is bent yet functions fine.
    So what is this? It is very well made and I'm pretty sure it's authentic. Also, how scarce is this badge and any idea of value? Oh by the way, I talked him down from $100 to $85. Good deal or am I nuts?!
    Regards and many thanks,
    Eric.
    Attached Files

Large swastika and wreath badge.

Another view.
    Attached Files

Comment

View three and close up of shield.
      Attached Files

Comment

Back view.
        Attached Files

Comment

Last one guys.
          Attached Files

Comment

That is a pin for the Sudeten Nazi Party, called the Karpatenduetsch Ehrenzeichen. It was given for distinguised service.

Very nice!!!!!!

Bob Hritz
            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Bob,
              Nice to hear from you again, it's been a while since we've talked. Boy, am I glad someone knew what it was. It always makes me a little nervous when these things just come out of the woodwork, but at least at the price I bought it for I wasn't in deep. The other items he had were obviously authentic and this badge just seemed "right". I take it you've seen others? Any idea at the value of said piece (it would only give me vindication over my better half, who always thinks I'm out of my skull)?
              Thanks again,
              Eric.

Comment

As Bob states it is indeed a Carpathian-German decoration (Karpatendeutsche Ehrezeichen). Insituted by Franz Karmasin, Volksgruppenführer of the German racial group in Slovakia for distinguished service & was to be worn on the left breast pocket.

These things are very scarce, however for some unknown reason (to me at least) they're not very popular amonst collectors. Perhaps it's because these aren't strictly German or combat awards. As such they are very under valued & do not reach the price that they should. However that said I'd say $85 was a very good price, when they do come up for sale (here in Europe) you can see them hanging around on big dealer sites for months on end for about $600 however, they tend to end up selling for about $200 because of the lack of interest.

Cheers
                Don

Comment

I agree with everything Don has said.

Weitze had one of these badges which I often looked at when I visited his shop in Hamburg and always decided not to buy. The reason was that whilst it is a beautiful badge, it is not mainstream collecting.

I have also seen a version of this badge without it's pin as a "Table Medal" in its case of issue. Once again stunning, but I didn't buy.

Anyway, you picked up a bargain at $85 and at that price I would definately find space for it in the collection!

Stan

Comment

Well if anyone can find me one with undamaged enamel for $200, I'll buy it - immediately.

Comment

Here's mine with perfect enamel. Picked up from a European dealer a couple of years ago for the equivalent of $175 after it had sat unloved on his site for well over two years listed at a much higher price.

I love these pieces, this is the third one I've had, one I got in a trade for a few tinnies & the other one I paid about $250.

Cheers
                      Don
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Don Scowen View Post
                        Here's mine with perfect enamel. Picked up from a European dealer a couple of years ago for the equivalent of $175 after it had sat unloved on his site for well over two years listed at a much higher price.

I love these pieces, this is the third one I've had, one I got in a trade for a few tinnies & the other one I paid about $250.

Cheers
                        Don
                        Very nice Don. I remember you asking me about the value of these some time back (probably a couple of years!).

$175 - $250 - a huge bargain IMHO but then what do I know.

Best,
                        Toby.

Comment

I think this is a very rare award and at these prices, I to would buy.

Comment

Please do not misunderstand me Gentlemen. The dealers ask high prices for them, but for some reason they do not sell. With a little negotiation they will usually come down on them after they've had them on their shelves for a few years. All of the ones I've had came from people who had them for sale for long periods of time at a high price. You just have to be cheeky enough to try it on

In my opinion they are indeed under valued & under rated. They deserve a better position in the collecting field

Comment

badge

PM sent

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X