No announcement yet.

Good 1944 Gausieger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Comment

Xen,

I have studied these Reichsberufswettkampf family of badges for years. The most heavily & best faked is the 1944 Gausieger.

I'm afraid that the one you show does not conform to the recognised original pattern for this badge. Apart from the areas mentioned in this thread there are several other points that are wrong. You have asked for opinions on it which is what you have been given, if you don't like them then fine. Don't keep trying to flog a dead horse, either accept the opinions, return the badge & move on, or, don't accept them, keep the badge & move on.

As Pascal has stated as long as you're happy, that is the main thing. But I for one would not have this badge in my collection.

Cheers
        Don
        Last edited by Don Scowen; 09-01-2006, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Comment

It's not just the number of the feathers but their positions on the chest. The layout should be rows of 4,5,5,4,1

With the extra unclear feather, yours is 5,5,4,4,1 not the standard configuration.

Cheers
            Don
            Last edited by Don Scowen; 09-01-2006, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Please, gents, keep the calm.
                Could anybody talk me why in this exact badge is not allowed small diferences in the cast of the maker to be considered an original? If you take a look and think it disappasionately in almost all the different III reich badges of the same maker you can find big differences between one and other (marked or not marked, different logos, different gilding or silvering, details in the design, differents metals...). Why here is different. There is no doubt than the cast for Xen´s badge is slightly different than in the other examples, but is this enought to treat this item as a copy? I think no.
                One different thing is to say that you only wixh text books examples.

And now, said this, I can sure you that I got a badge identical or very similar to the Xen´s one directly from the son of a recipient. This man was not a dealer or a collector. I saw his father´s papers and photos and nothing in this case made me suspect than he could to have a fake in his hand.
                I scan the item and send it to Pascal by email to be posted here. Perhaps it can help you to clarify this question, but please, don´t go to extremist positions. I think everybody is trying to help and all the points of view are welcome, better if accompained with an explanation.
                Regards

Comment

Originally posted by XEN View Post
                  Damn, I couldn't leave things like this! Pascal, as far as I can tell from other threads concerning this badge you have a Gausieger which looks the same as Warlord's which came from Bill Shea? The premise was that if it came from Ruptured Duck then it must be ok. I think what is happening here is that you are making a direct comparison between my badge and yours because yours has been deemed correct.

As the feather count is important I have attached two pictures of my badge which clearly show the feather on the right shoulder:
                  Having purchased the badge from Bill Shea is not necessarily an iron clad proof of originality. If this is the premise that is being used, than this would be a bad assumption.

Additionally I keep hearing about textbook examples being the only originals. Who and what determined what is a textbook example? The majority of these badges that have popped up as textbook far outnumber the ones that are being questioned. If they are that rare, should the numbers not be reversed and those seen more frequently be deemed reproductions and those seen more rarely be deemed original? The only way you can say something is textbook is with ironclad provenance. Even with this type of provenance you cannot condemn all other badges that don't conform to this standard simply because they don't conform to the one or two that have this provenance. Gregorio's has this provenance and it seems to conform to the badge being questioned here.

Now logic would dictate if Gregorio's has ironclad provenance, that unless the others being touted as original have this same provenance, they are the fakes and the badge in question is the original. So it would be up to the individuals who are showing their version of the supposed textbook examples to prove why theirs are original, not the other way around.
                  Richard V
                  Last edited by Richard; 09-01-2006, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by XEN View Post
                    Damn, I couldn't leave things like this! Pascal, as far as I can tell from other threads concerning this badge you have a Gausieger which looks the same as Warlord's which came from Bill Shea? The premise was that if it came from Ruptured Duck then it must be ok. I think what is happening here is that you are making a direct comparison between my badge and yours because yours has been deemed correct.

As the feather count is important I have attached two pictures of my badge which clearly show the feather on the right shoulder:
                    Dear XEN,
                    I really have to object to this statement. I have NEVER bought an item from a dealer just for the dealer’s name, with all due respect but I don’t need that. I have NEVER EVER bought anything from Bill Shea and I would be very interested why you came to this conclusion.

Yes, I do have a Gausieger 1944 badge and I did my homework before I bought this badge. I asked as much information from expert collectors as I could, asked for pictures and compared the items but in the end it was me who made the decision.

You asked for opinions on your Gauseiger badge. I tried to explain to you that this is an extremely rare badge of which there are not a lot of originals anymore. Try to talk to Don or Warlord, who has 2 great examples of which the origin is known, and they will tell you exactly the same. I have been to quite a few shows the last few years but I have never seen an original Gausieger 1944 badge. On the other hand, I have seen there lots of fakes.

As these are very rare items the price is accordingly. I only tried to help to save you your hard earned money.

I tried to explain to you that your item is nothing like the known originals like the ones of Warlord.
                    There are a lot of differences between the badges and I only gave you the obvious ones.
                    There are a lot more but with all respect I don’t know you and I don’t know your intentions with this information. Besides that I just don't think it it wise to post all the differences in this thread.

But with all this being I can only repeat what I said in my first post of this thread and that this all is only my opinion. You can do with it whatever you want but I promise you that it was all well meant.

KR
                    Pascal

Comment

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I would like to add a small input. The badges shown were awarded and obtained direct from the family. The 1944 awards are extreemly rare as the number awarded was very small. I would have to sugest great causion in obtaing one of these. The badge in question I would humbly sugest dose not match the known original in many ways. Thr price of these reflects the rarity, £295.00 gets you a badge as shown. A known original? £450.00 or more.A Reichsieger 1944 - £2000.00 or more. BUT WARE CAN YOU GET ONE?

Comment

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X