Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stolen Terboven SA tunic : BO holder ?

Hi,

amongst the items stolen from the collection of Philippe Gillain is included a "SA Tunic for Obergruppenführer Josef Terboven Mod 1944, dark brown collar collar tabs Mod 1944. Cuff title “Feldhernhalle”, Blutorden ribbon, Alt Kämpfer Tresse With Kepi N° 4595."

https://www.stolenitemsww2.com/product/unif-3620/

But according to Michael Miller, member of the WAF and famous author ("Gauleiter" books by Bender Publishing etc.) "Josef Terboven [...] was not a Blutorden holder in any case".

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...6&postcount=15

Also what is the deal with the "Feldernhalle" cuff title in this SA tunic ?

See You

Vince
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

the English wikipedia page says that "Terboven joined the NSDAP with member number 25247 and participated in the abortive Beer Hall Putsch in Munich."

If he participed, shouldn't he be a BO holder ?

Also he maybe got the BO in 1938 ?

See You

Vince

Comment

He is not recorded as being a blutorden holder, meaning a very high possibility the ribbon was added to enhance the tunic. But you would need to pull his files to be 100%. Not everyone at the event was awarded the medal, I've seen other examples of this.

Comment

Hello Jon,

thanks for your very interesting reply.

Do you may another good example of someone "being there" who never got the BO ?

See You

Vince

Comment

Hi Vince, when I’ve noted this it’s been by chance and always with plank bearers and not celebs, I’ve never recorded it. Do short answer, no, not at the moment but next time it occurs I’ll post here.

Comment

Hello Jon,

perfect, at least this fact is confirmed (people who attempted the putsch but never got the BO), so this is very interesting.

In that case, is it possible that those (unlucky) people were "blacklisted" for an unknown reason by someone in the NSDAP/Chancellery ?
              Or was it because testimonies were missing about them ?

See You

Vince

Comment

I guess the only way to know for sure is to check his party file card to see if there is a big "B" on the card. Of course, as he was a Gauleiter, it may have been removed at the end.

Comment

Gentlemen’s, let’s put a few things straight in this tread …
                  There is absolutely no evidence this tunic belonged to Terboven.
                  No name or marking whatsoever other than the tailors (private) tags.
                  The myth that this is a tunic of J. Terboven goes back to the time I brought the piece back to Belgium around 1990 from my collection located in Canada.
                  As one can see on the picture taken in my back yard, I had decorated the tunic with an assortment of heteroclite medals. (Original ones !)
                  The ribbon bar used is too short for the original loops. The guy must have had a unusual long medal bar with really a lot of medals !!
                  The collar taps where not originally sewn to the tunic; but !! They might have been the original ones from the tunic! Most probably are.
                  What I can affirm is the following; the medal loops where of two different type of colour. Some of the medals and the cuff where added later. This would be normal. The tread used for some of the loops is the same as the tread used for the cuff band.
                  Loops and cuff are professionally applied with good skills and are of no doubt period to the tunic. Therefore this is an original tunic (with probably a original BO ribbon) from an unknown Nazi leader. I do not remember the way the ribbon of the BO was applied, but again, as I stated in numerous treads on this forum. At the time I acquired the item, political stuff was cheap, plentiful around and not collected much as it is today. So why enhance it … ? Especially coming from vet a Branch.
                  And I did not besides to re-add the collars.
                  The story … ? I received the tunic together with a large number of other political tunics and stuff from the veteran association in Ont. Canada in 1981. See other picture.
                  My uncle was Lt. Col. and D-Day veteran in the Canadian army, this helps …
                  There where also a large number of headgear.
                  One of them being the one from Terboven. See picture.
                  The myth was born in 1990 when I shipped the stuff back to Belgium. Simple.
                  Personally never proclaiming the tunic and the cap belonged to each other; other collectors’ did.
                  And who was I to state they where wrong … ?
                  Disappointing but this is the truth!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X