Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH Monogram Tea Napkin

Hi,

Here is a AH Monogram Formal Pattern Tea Napkin offered on market.
    Please feel free to comment as I have some concerns .... but I am not expert in AH monogram.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

A
    Attached Files

Comment

Well my first impression is that the aging to the monogram doesn't match the aging to the tea napkin...I'm guessing it's been added to a plain tea napkin to fool collectors....IMO

Comment

Thank you Brett ....
        Now I am waiting for more opinions !

Comment

The monogram is right as rain, although I suspect what you have here is actually a napkin - not a tea towel. Can we see the whole thing, plus dimensions?

Comment

One thing to bear in mind. I don't mind sharing..I knew the late great Frau Winter.
            She was a very enterprising lady. And kept in contact with the company that continued to produced these for her well after the war finish....she sold quite a few post war to mainly American collectors.

Comment

Hi
              Looks like the informal pattern, but more pics are needed , the reverse side of the monogram and pics of the whole napkin. I heard stories of post war napkins, I always took them with a pinch of salt.
              Regards
              Frank

Comment

Original AH napkin.

Comment

It looks good to me, too.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
                    Hi
                    Looks like the informal pattern, but more pics are needed , the reverse side of the monogram and pics of the whole napkin. I heard stories of post war napkins, I always took them with a pinch of salt.
                    Regards
                    Frank

No need for the salt...I heard it from the horses mouth.

Comment

Hi
                      I must say Saltsburg is a beautiful city with a very relaxed atmosphere, and we are going again in July. There are plenty of horses around and have been for years, if you take the Temeraire for example, if you believe every story from Pub landlords and homeowners on the south coast, that their pub or house was built with wood from the warship, the Temeraire was at least 10 times its actual size. This is why I bought my napkin with a paper trail from the vet to the Bergdorf.
                      I envy you living in Saltsburg.
                      Regards
                      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
                        Hi
                        I must say Saltsburg is a beautiful city with a very relaxed atmosphere, and we are going again in July. There are plenty of horses around and have been for years, if you take the Temeraire for example, if you believe every story from Pub landlords and homeowners on the south coast, that their pub or house was built with wood from the warship, the Temeraire was at least 10 times its actual size. This is why I bought my napkin with a paper trail from the vet to the Bergdorf.
                        I envy you living in Saltsburg

Regards
                        Frank
                        Its is a beautiful land. I don't for one moment question yours and others table napkins etc..but Frau Winter was a shrewd operator and knew how to use her knowledge and contacts after wars end and long onto the next few decades.
                        And who would blame her.

Comment

Hi
                          Have you ever seen one of these Frau Winter post-war napkins?
                          Any idea of numbers produced?
                          Do you have any photographs of such a napkin?
                          Thanks in advance
                          Frank

Comment

Very interesting, Prabal...and a bit shocking...news that Frau Winter "kept in contact with the company that continued to produced these [embroidered AH monogrammed napkins] for her well after the war finish....she sold quite a few post war to mainly American collectors." This is the first I'd heard about such a shameful scam on her part and wonder if anyone else has any reference to this story? I am aware, of course, that the Winters took advantage of their positions of access to Hitler's private apartment on the Prince Regent Plaza and essentially looted Hitler's belongings in a wholesale fashion, with which they presumably made quite a bit of money during the post-war years, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised to read that Frau Winter also continued her contact with various suppliers of personalized items so as to keep the sources of cash flowing on her behalf!

On balance, I suppose this is no worse than the cutlers who continued to assemble daggers of various kinds long after war's end, in order to sell them to unsuspecting GIs with cash in hand, or the medal and decoration manufacturers who woke up on May 9, 1945 and found that the war had ended but that they still possessed the original dies used to make various awards...and continued to do so, for the same reason: gullible customers with cash in hand! It has always been thus!!

Br. James

Comment

Sorry, I just don't buy the story about the manufacturer still making these exact napkins after the war. That company was [and still is] a highly respected linen producer—and given the stigma and legal implications of being anything close to a Nazi after May 8 1945, makes it dubious to say the least.

That said, I can believe imitation 'AH' napkins could have been made post-war, bearing just his initials, perhaps crudely hand-sewn by a jobbing seamstress onto regular 'shop-bought' napkins as a souvenir for GIs...but these exact napkins? No way.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X