AH or Political table cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH or Political table cloth

Hello friends, I was just wondering if anyone has seen this pattern before?

Roughly 100cm x 50cm. Machine woven. Political eagles are nicely machine embroidered into the pattern as are swastikas on the white background and AH seems stamped. Any ideas?

THANKS!
    Attached Files

I've not seen this pattern before...and I don't care for the look of the stamped "A.H." on this piece. It appears that the whole cloth is twice the size of what you've captured in the photograph; it looks like there is another red border w/eagle and swastika motif folded under the section shown, making this cloth twice the length that we can see.

Of course, there is always the possibility that such pieces as this were made by private individuals and sent to one of Hitler's addresses as gifts -- birthday or for one of the several holidays -- and these pieces wound up among the hoards of material stored throughout the years of the TR era. One of the most common examples of such gifts was small sets of silverware -- expensive pieces purchased at jewelry stores, hand-engraved normally with "A.H." and sent to Hitler by an adoring citizenry. The other high-ranking NSDAP leadership received similar gifts, as well -- all freely offered and none bearing any direct relationship with the recipients' direct wishes!

Br. James

Comment

Thanks, yes it is a one meter long long cloth and the other end is identical to the end pictured. It is made of a thick cotton weave similar to tea towels of the era. The swastikas are part of the weave as are the eages and flowers. I am not sure about the AH either although it does look like it has been there for a time. The cloth itself looks like something that would have been at a restaurant or canteen. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

Comment

It could be a table runner--I don't think it would have been used as a table cloth because the eagles would be upside down if they draped over the edges.
        My guess is that it was an early pro-party Kitsch piece produced prior to the enactment of the laws protecting national emblems.
        The 'A.H.' may have nothing to do with Hitler, but could be a property mark for the laundry service.
        Whatever it is, it's an interesting piece!
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Thanks Sir!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X