• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH formal tea spoon on e-stand

I think spoon right now offered by e-stand needs a discussion :

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=884761

Ric

This piece looks OK to me...what are your concerns, Ric?

Br. James

Comment

AH Formal Tea Spoon on Estand

Looks like a text book, uncleaned original to me.

Best regards,
      Bill

Comment

Yep, a nice original example.

Comment

Just to re-assure... I'll submit 3 examples, one being the one listed on e-stand. All purchased from 3 different sources at 3 different times. I think the patina may have thrown you off Ric.
          Attached Files
          https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

2 more pics
            Attached Files

Comment

Berghof,

may you please compare dimension of discussed spoon with the one at its right ?

By e-stand pics head spoon edge appears not correctly shape, later I will post edited pics to better explain what I mean.

Ric
              Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 11-06-2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Ric,

I'll provide dimensions for all of them as you would always want at least 3 data points for comparison. Measurements were made to the thousandth of an inch. Lets use the first picture I posted above as the reference. The "bottom" spoon is the example listed on e-stand.

Bottom overall length: 4.339"
                Middle overall length: 4.335"
                Top overall length: 4.337"

Bottom spoon bowl width: 0.916"
                Middle spoon bowl width: 0.916"
                Top spoon bowl width: 0.919"

Bottom spoon bowl depth: 0.239"
                Middle spoon bowl depth: 0.240"
                Top spoon bowl depth: 0.241"

Normally, I would expect a stamped piece to have a tolerance of +- 0.003" and a molded piece to have a tolerance of +- 0.007" (before polishing/finishing). Molding pressure, heat and material hardness variations can skew tolerances. Machine tolerances between machines naturally vary as well. To put things in perspective, a piece of paper measures at about 0.0036".

I'm glad I did this exercise. I took more measurements than posted...this should be plenty info. I was shocked about how close the tolerances were with these pieces. If the guy polishing the pieces, with a buffing wheel, at the end of the production line held the piece against the wheel too long, that alone would shave a couple thousandths of an inch off. Bruckmann did a pretty fine job. Pictures may distort, my vernier calipers are spot on. That said, the piece is identical to the others and well within tolerance. I'm confident in its authenticity.

Regards,
                Mike
                Last edited by Berghof; 11-06-2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric Ferrari View Post
                  ........later I will post edited pics to better explain what I mean.

Ric

Thank you Mike for taking measurements of all three spoons.

As you rightly said measurements always tell the true if you compare an original specimen with its repro by molding, that's reason of my request .

About pics here's the feature that raised my suspect, as a note tea spoon repro in my collection shows a step similar to the one apparently shown by the pic, on the other end my original one does not .

Ric
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 11-06-2016, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the areas of concern Ric. The thicknesses and design in those areas are identical in all three examples I have. I think the patina/tarnish/lighting may make the thicknesses appear different in the pictures.

I read about the claims of a demitasse reproduction on a website some years ago. Unfortunately, the pictures provided were not clear enough for me to see any real marked differences.

I can pm you the weight of each spoon if you'd like as well. They are all within a 100th of a gram. You can compare the weight to your repro piece.

Can you provide a pictorial example of the repro? I think we can all benefit from it.

Regards,
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Berghof View Post
                      ......Can you provide a pictorial example of the repro? I think we can all benefit from it.

Regards,
                      Mike
                      Mike,

here you find discussion with two pictures of the mentioned repro now in my collection :

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=spoon

of course pictured give away signs (on mine) are not visible on your specimen, but supposed step on bowl edge.

Ric
                      Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 11-06-2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Looking good from the pics provided ...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X