Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosenthal Ceramic Color Soldier Plate Value

Hello all,
    I've got this Rosenthal ceramic piece that I need verified and a possible fair market value. Any help would be greatlt appreciated.
    Regards,
    Steve
    Attached Files

size is 215mm

Comment

$400-450.00 is what I've seen them go for in the past when the market was stronger.
      Very nice piece!
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

FYI year of manufacture - 1932

Comment

Thank you Erich and Quikie.
          How can you tell it's made in 1932 ? Just curious.
          Regards,
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by wolfslair View Post
            Thank you Erich and Quikie.
            How can you tell it's made in 1932 ? Just curious.
            Regards,
            Steve
            Easy. By the Rosenthal's logo on the plate, which corresponds to 1932.

Comment

I believe there is some overlap with Rosenthal markings--I believe, despite what some websites show, that the marking was phased out/replaced in 1934-35 based on pieces that I've seen in the past.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

The soldier's helmet is, however, representative of Imperial/Weimar rather than the Third Reich era.

Comment

Prior to 1935, though, the WWI helmet pattern was still worn--and also past this date by both military and paramilitary members.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by wessel View Post
                    The soldier's helmet is, however, representative of Imperial/Weimar rather than the Third Reich era.
                    That's because the plate was manufactured in exactly 1932.

Comment

Or before 1934-35 at least.
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Rosenthal changes their marks every year, what appears to be an identical mark in many cases could have minute detail differences. The chances are of a mark from 1932 coming up in 1935 for Rosenthal at least is slim but possible. But not likely here because this is a series done in numbers so you have something like 4 or 5 pieces made and they number ?/500 or ? /1000... That and the fact that they did these in batches your not really going to run the mark out of its designation of 1932. Its made in 1932.

You would need to show a model not done in a previous year with a previous years mark to show otherwise and I wish everyone luck with that. Much easier to find a later mark on an early piece as they kept making them in many cases. Kind of a silly argument considering the piece in question is not even a standard plate and the manufacturer intentionally and methodically amends its mark on a yearly basis.

Comment

Thanks! If that's the case, then it must be 1932--the placement of dots appears to indicate the yearly changes, at least during the period this marking was used. I apologize for the incorrect information I had provided.
                          Erich
                          Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
                            Thanks! If that's the case, then it must be 1932--the placement of dots appears to indicate the yearly changes, at least during the period this marking was used. I apologize for the incorrect information I had provided.
                            Erich
                            Erich,

It is dots and dases in many cases, its good for dating pieces but its also easy to make a mistake dating a piece as well. ;@)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X