Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the SA ever use Black Belts and cross straps...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the SA ever use Black Belts and cross straps...?

Think I read in one of Angolias books on the SA that they reverted to Black open claw belts and cross straps, or they were allowed to wear them...any truth to that and if so, what approximate date would that have happened...?
    Curious....many thanks in advance...
    FS

I'm pretty sure that mention was made of black leather vs. brown early in the war, but I haven't had time to check my files to find the relevant notation. Hopefully I'll have time in a few weeks.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

So far, I've been able to find only one reference to the color change--it was announced in the SA Verordnungblatt of 10. October 1943 that as of 1. September 1943, the Feldherrnhalle Standarte would use black leather gear in the interest of the conservation of raw materials. I assume there was a wear-out period but that's not addressed in the notice.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

Erich, didn't the Marine SA wear black leather fittings with their uniforms?

Comment

Yes, with gold metal fittings. But the regular SA, I had thought, changed over to simplify manufacturing (along with using silver buttons regardless of group, eliminating special insignia and using the shoulder board underlay instead to indicate specialty personnel, etc.) with the exception of the Marine SA.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Reason I initially brought this up is I acquired a Westfalen SA Brownshirt and Service Blouse, and it came with a black open clawed belt and cross strap, so am trying to determine if it is proper to display it with the black belt...

Comment

Originally posted by Pink View Post
              Reason I initially brought this up is I acquired a Westfalen SA Brownshirt and Service Blouse, and it came with a black open clawed belt and cross strap, so am trying to determine if it is proper to display it with the black belt...
              Best would be brown leather gear and shoulder-belt with a double claw in the color for the buttons from the brown-shirt.
              In March 1938 it was noted the color for the belt remained dark-brown with silver or golden fittings according to the button color (Verordnungsblatt der OSAF nr. 2, page 26). Naval-SA a black belt with golden fittings. This brown was also worn by men from the Reiter-SA and the uniform for skiing-competitions, when such was ordered.

When in July 1939 the insignia changed. The color for the belt did not. With the introduction for the uniform for SA-Wehrmannschaft, the color for the belt was to be brown (no shoulder-belt was worn: Verordnungsblatt der OSAF. nr.10 page 68). When with orders from May 1941 the colors were simplyfied the color for the belt remained brown, but ALL fittings were to be from silver. Golden fittings were abolished, exception was Marine-SA. They remained black with golden fittings (Verordnungsblatt der OSAF. nr. 2, page 5).

After July 1943 I am missing issues and can't check what Erich B. says, but it would be common in lieu for the Armed Forces. As far as I remember nothing was said about this in the Mitteilungsblatt der RZM, but for saving materials it was allowed not to wear anymore the wider sized belts. For leaders 50 mm was a standard size (Mitteilungsblatt der RZM November 11, 1942, page 80). This was changed in July 1943 into 45 mm, according to the Mbl.RZM.

Erich B: is it possible you scan please, the message from the Verordnungsblatt der OSAF of 10. October 1943 that as of 1. September 1943. I am interested in the original German text.
              Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 12-20-2015, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Many thanks to all....

Merry Christmas..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X