SA Tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Tabs

Hi everyone, just got these tabs today. They look authentic to me and I have no particular concerns, but as I am new to SA insignia I would appreciate confirmation of their authenticity. Many thanks, Doug
    Attached Files

Tabs

The tabs themselves appear to be authentic, but the configuration makes no sense. I suspect that the piping and probably the pip were added to original tabs. The combination of gold piping and silver pip makes no sense. Enlisted tabs wouldn't have gold twist piping (though later-made enlisted SA tabs DID have either yellow or white rayon piping). Pips with 2 bent-over prongs on the edges are just not seen on early SA tabs. Cardboard backing on SA tabs is fairly rare but did exist. I suspect someone gussied up an original set of SA tabs with a pip and gold piping.

Comment

Thanks very much for your response. The piping is in fact, yellow, however it might appear in the photographs. The piping is in a silky non- metalic thread and could well be rayon.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by douglas stuart; 08-24-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Tabs

Oops! I may have been wrong again. When the yellow piping was authorized in 1941, ALL buttons and devices were in silver only. USUALLY, by this time, the stitching was in embroidery, not chain-stitching, so it's probably just an early SA tab that was upgraded to 1941 regulations. also, as I mentioned, the piping was in rayon, not twisted, but I'm sure both were used. So the tab may be good after all. However, I'm still not keen on that type of pip. You generally never see those on SA tabs. Curious what others think. I need another cup of coffee!!

Comment

Thanks for your help. On The War Relics Forum, moderator Bob Coleman is telling me these are NSFK tabs, this is a real surprise, can anyone else comment on this? http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-co...a-tabs-576188/

Comment

Originally posted by douglas stuart View Post
            Thanks for your help. On The War Relics Forum, moderator Bob Coleman is telling me these are NSFK tabs, this is a real surprise, can anyone else comment on this? http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-co...a-tabs-576188/
            see my comment on WRF about the color.

Comment

[QUOTE=douglas stuart;7060574]Thanks for your help. Bob Coleman has explained that he believed these to be NSFK tabs based on the colour showing as grey on his monitor and that they are in fact SA tabs. I am very grateful to Bob and others who have commented for their expertise.
              Last edited by douglas stuart; 08-25-2015, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Tabs

I would like to know what the SA experts think about this style pip, with the prongs on the edges.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X