Swastika ladies sash buckle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swastika ladies sash buckle...

As a follow-up on my earlier post regarding the mobile-swastika bracelet I found amongst a local WWII veteran's war souvenirs, here's yet another period piece, which, in all probability, is another domestically produced and marketed "good luck" type symbol, only this time, of silver plated metal, and highlighted in blue paint, centered on an oval buckle w/ "fleur de lis" type of designs bordering it on its circumference. Un-marked, and again, more than likely, a product of the roaring '20s (or earlier). Since I haven't any recollection as to exactly where I found this piece, I can't relate to any particular provenance as it having been part of a vet's stash, etc..it more than likely came to me via an estate clean out w/ other period jewelry...A few pix below, and thanks for any feedback on this one as well.
    Attached Files

Ive seen this type of buckle before. I believe on a dealer site somewhere. I want to say it was labeled as a piece of supporter jewlery. Either way, its a good looking piece.

Comment

Thanks, I like it too...wish I could nail down its specific origin, however, it is what it is...Thx for your feedback.

Comment

...and interestingly, THIS piece seems to have incited much less controversy, perhaps due to its lack of American patent information (or ANY patent information, for that matter), as opposed to my vet estate found, swastika bracelet, which so many have deemed to have no possible connection to the TR. Is it the consensus that this piece should fall into the same category? I find nothing overtly indicative regarding its design one way or the other...So, I’d appreciate some additional feedback if any is forthcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
          ...and interestingly, THIS piece seems to have incited much less controversy, perhaps due to its lack of American patent information (or ANY patent information, for that matter), as opposed to my vet estate found, swastika bracelet, which so many have deemed to have no possible connection to the TR. Is it the consensus that this piece should fall into the same category? I find nothing overtly indicative regarding its design one way or the other...So, I’d appreciate some additional feedback if any is forthcoming.
          Its less controversial because for most its a harder call to make and to me its U.S good luck and might be for a sash or a bolo. Obviously if the swaz was turquoise the call would be simple, but I do not think its native American either. So its approximate date based on style, materials utilized in manufacture, symbols, and in some cases its not as easy. This is Americana in my opinion and the way you find out generally and over time is surfing antique sites related to jewelry and you will find what your looking for. Need to get outside of the 3rd Reich fishbowl of items on occasion or you wont find what your looking for, not unusual to find a Fleur Di Lis on early American jewelry and other items.

Comment

This is true and since I deal in antiques in a much broader sense outside of TR related items and militaria, it’s not at all outside of the realm of what I handle on a regular basis. I too am of the opinion that this buckle is more than likely American in origin, however, I can’t rightly say one way or the other...just another period item for endless speculation.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X