SandeBoetik

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWASTIKA "AMERICAN QUEEN" BRACELET from VET ESTATE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SWASTIKA "AMERICAN QUEEN" BRACELET from VET ESTATE...

Here's another "first" for me...This was among a larger veteran estate lot I just acquired. I've had other bracelets of this type / genre, but never one w/ the "mobile" swastika. The central swastika motif is hand-engraved, and is filled with what's most likely rhinestones (or plaster stones), and a few have gone missing over the years. Interestingly the patent dates and information is stamped onto the inside of the band "American Queen" patent dates of 1907 and 1908. I have to assume that they were also exported to Europe, as I'm sure this piece pre-dates the war by more than a few years..(either that, or it was worn by a pre-war American sympathizer or perhaps a female "Bund" member. Either way, a very nifty piece of TR supporter's "kitsch". A few pix below...
    Attached Files

Prior to the 3Reich, the swastika was used in many jewelry pieces, decorative pottery, rugs, and building designs. The 3Reich made the swastika a hated symbol.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Absolutely Bob, but virtually never do you see domestic (US) made pieces with the swastika depicted in the "mobile" context. To be sure, in this nation, it was a good luck symbol, used especially on native American items, not to mention the shoulder patch of the 45th Division in WWI, however, I'm pretty sure that this piece is TR related. I've come across quite a bit of TR "kitsch" from vets estates in my day. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Bracelet

I hate to throw cold water on your theories, but to suggest that the bracelet is in any way connected to the Third Reich, is fantasy by the odds alone. The patent predates the formation of the Nazi Party by 13 years. COULD it have been worn by an American Bund member later? Of course....but the odds of that are incredibly slim. Assuming the item was exported and possibly worn by a German Third Reich personality in Germany, is equally slim.
        The bracelet is a wonderful piece of Americana jewelry in it's own right, and would be best presented as such. Nice piece!!

Comment

Not 3rd Reich or supporter, these are early and American.

Comment

Well, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. The patent dates prove nothing, as it was obviously a design that was patented early in the 20th century, but I’ve had other pieces of jewelry using this same type of band, typically gold filled, or gilded sterling that were worn through the forties at least. Considering it came in a vet lot composed entirely of TR items, I believe it was a period piece worn in the context of a supporter of the Third Reich, whether domestically or abroad. Honestly, in what other context would it be worn in this configuration? Were it a horizontal presentation, I’d be much more inclined to believe it was intended as a “luck” theme...but as a mobile swastika, it puts it in a bit of a different context, in my honest opinion. Items like this will doubtless always be up for debate. Thx for the feedback.
            Last edited by Milton; 08-19-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
              Well, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. The patent dates prove nothing, as it was obviously a design that was patented early in the 20th century, but I’ve had other pieces of jewelry using this same type of band, typically gold filled, or gilded sterling that were worn through the forties at least. Considering it came in a vet lot composed entirely of TR items, I believe it was a period piece worn in the context of a supporter of the Third Reich, whether domestically or abroad. Honestly, in what other context would it be worn in this configuration? Were it a horizontal presentation, I’d be much more inclined to believe it was intended as a “luck” theme...but as a mobile swastika, it puts it in a bit of a different context, in my honest opinion. Items like this will doubtless always be up for debate. Thx for the feedback.
              Your free to disagree and I have had several of these, if you talk to a jeweler worth a salt he will tell you it's Victorian, because that is what they are considered to be. A dealer listing one as 3rd Reich is not educated in the material, an owner or end user is of course free to form his own opinion until he go's to sell it after being educated. They still bring decent money.

Comment

From other examples I’ve encountered by this maker, it was also commonly sold w/ a blank planchette, which the owner could have engraved with any design they wished. I have owned several others with the same type of band. Some had initials,(monograms), one had a WWII US Navy motif and was in sterling silver w/ gilt overlay. There’s no arguing the fact that they’re early 20th century, however the design motif could be dictated by the wearer in this context, or could be purchased with an integral design as well (hence my other examples). The original intent of its wearer will always be up for conjecture, (unlike the swastika poker chips out there..!) Thanks again for the feedback.

Comment

Is it possible that the swastika was added later to the bracelet?

Comment

If you’re implying that it was a post-war embellishment to somehow make it more “appealing” to a collector, then I’d say no. The work appears all period, and it was found amongst a WWII veterans German war souvenirs, and not being marketed as anything special. Simply stated, I have no reason to believe it’s a contemporary embellishment, and see no reason why it couldn’t have been worn by a supporter of the TR. Prior to the war, it stands to reason that these bracelet bands were also exported to Europe as well as being available domestically. In the overall scheme of things though, I’ll probably never know for sure if it was worn here or there, or in exactly what context, but it seems plausible to me at least. Regardless, it IS a neat piece of period jewelry, one way or the other. Thanks for commenting.

Comment

I agree, nothing to do with the TR. A "mobile" or tilted swas was not exclusive to the Nazi party. The tilt was more for aesthetics than anything else. There are many examples of this that predate the TR era especially with early 20th century postcards and greeting cards. There are also several variations of this type of bracelet including one that opens as a locket. Snyder's has that same bracelet that they are trying to pass off as an Eva Braun original that was given to her by Goring, laughable. It is not TR related whatsoever.

Comment

Well Rob, I'm glad that YOU're so sure at least...As far as I'm concerned, it could easily have been worn by a TR supporter just as easily as not. I too deal with quite a lot of estate jewelry and ephemera and have handled quite a bit of domestic and foreign material w/ swastika embellishments, that admittedly had no connection to the Third Reich. But to simply assume there's NO TR connection, when it was amongst a vets German souvenirs, and is period to the time frame, isn't something I'm so easily convinced of. Just for grins, here it is, pictured below, with the other items with which it was found....I know, simply coincidental, right? NO WAY could it possibly have been worn by a woman in Nazi Germany....
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Milton; 08-20-2015, 11:46 AM.

Comment

...and as a footnote, here are two pieces I have kicking around the shop that are admittedly, domestically produced, most likely in the 20's or earlier, in which the swastika is used as a decorative emblem...The stickpin shows a horizontal version, whereas the watch fob depicts the swastika canted at .45 (due simply to the fact that the hook for the watch chain is at the 6:00 position when worn properly). This is a classic example of what's been discussed. In a nutshell, I'm not trying to convince myself or anyone else that this bracelet was DEFINITELY worn in connection w/ the TR, simply that it is a possibility, based on how and with what else it was found. Nothing more. It IS more than likely a coincidence that it showed up in this vets estate, (albeit a strange one), but I can't help but wonder. No worries that I'm going to try and market it as an Easter gift to E.B.....!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
                            ...and as a footnote, here are two pieces I have kicking around the shop that are admittedly, domestically produced, most likely in the 20's or earlier, in which the swastika is used as a decorative emblem...The stickpin shows a horizontal version, whereas the watch fob depicts the swastika canted at .45 (due simply to the fact that the hook for the watch chain is at the 6:00 position when worn properly). This is a classic example of what's been discussed. In a nutshell, I'm not trying to convince myself or anyone else that this bracelet was DEFINITELY worn in connection w/ the TR, simply that it is a possibility, based on how and with what else it was found. Nothing more. It IS more than likely a coincidence that it showed up in this vets estate, (albeit a strange one), but I can't help but wonder. No worries that I'm going to try and market it as an Easter gift to E.B.....!
                            it may very well have belonged to EB ...LOL .. EC

Comment

Yup! But I won't go THAT far....Just going to add it to the ever growing pile of pre WWII "Hakenkreuz-Schmuck" I have on hand.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X