No announcement yet.

Opinions on Reichsadler bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressive piece! Where did you happen to come across this eagle bust?

Sal

Comment

Thanks, Michael. It just seems so odd to me that someone would go to the trouble of adding certain details to the reverse of a sculpture -- like to the head and the wreath -- that is not intended to be seen from that side! I've seen the example of the Nuremberg Eagle that you illustrate, too, and have wondered the same thing there!
      Perhaps I spend too much time wondering about such things...?! Br. James
      Hi Br. James, I think you make a good point, looking at the back of a few of the other 'HB' desk eagles, I notice that some have highly detailed reverses and some do not. Maybe it is an 'economic' or 'manufacturing' trait, is it easier, faster or cheaper to make an eagle with a smooth back? In the case of the 'HB' Nuremberg eagle, why move away from the earlier examples with the detailed reverse to the smooth back model? it is an excellent question....
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks so much, Michael, and I'm glad that you see my point! If a sculpture is intended to be viewed from all directions, then it certainly makes sense to carve and cast it all around -- front, back and sides. And if a piece is intended to be viewed from one side only, then it makes sense not to waste time finishing the back side if it is not intended to be seen. The eagle in question is obviously intended to be seen from all vantage points -- after all, it's mounted to a base and not up against a wall or a panel or any other surface from which the reverse is not visible -- and the sculptor went to the trouble of finishing the bird's head on all sides and also the wreath, with only a general suggestion of feathers on the back of the wings!

In the end, the answer to this question is probably found in "the sculptor's creative capacity" and I should leave it at that! Wish I could...!!

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Lovely looking eagle , regards Dave

Comment

very NICE -LOOKING EAGLE!....EC

Comment

If a sculpture is intended to be viewed from all directions, then it certainly makes sense to carve and cast it all around -- front, back and sides. And if a piece is intended to be viewed from one side only, then it makes sense not to waste time finishing the back side if it is not intended to be seen. The eagle in question is obviously intended to be seen from all vantage points -- after all, it's mounted to a base and not up against a wall or a panel or any other surface from which the reverse is not visible -- and the sculptor went to the trouble of finishing the bird's head on all sides and also the wreath, with only a general suggestion of feathers on the back of the wings!

In the end, the answer to this question is probably found in "the sculptor's creative capacity" and I should leave it at that! Wish I could...!! - Br. James
              Hi Br. James,

Here is another version of this "flat back" Wehrmacht style eagle. John T sold this one recently and Thomas Wittmann had one not long ago as well. I like these and consider them original, although there is not much happening at the back on this one either.... (Photo's John T)

Comment

Your point is well taken, Michael, and this latest piece is a great example. Obviously this piece was created to be free-standing and yet to be primarily seen from the front (obverse), not from the reverse. I agree that this piece was created during the TR, and it was probably intended to sit on a person's desk, where it would primarily be viewed from the front side...excepting the person who sat behind the desk!

I wonder whether this may have been created as an award of some kind, with an inscription or dedication engraved onto the ball?

Br. James

Comment

If a sculpture is intended to be viewed from all directions, then it certainly makes sense to carve and cast it all around -- front, back and sides. And if a piece is intended to be viewed from one side only, then it makes sense not to waste time finishing the back side if it is not intended to be seen. The eagle in question is obviously intended to be seen from all vantage points -- after all, it's mounted to a base and not up against a wall or a panel or any other surface from which the reverse is not visible -- and the sculptor went to the trouble of finishing the bird's head on all sides and also the wreath, with only a general suggestion of feathers on the back of the wings!........Br.James
                  Hi Br.James,

I recently came across some original period wall plaques and desk eagles that included the flat-back eagle that started this thread. No point detailing the back of this one as it would never have been seen, I pulled it off the plaque and took a photo to show the threaded post attachments on the back of the bird. There is no sign of this one ever being mounted on a base, the underside of the wreathed swaz has no hole for a mounting bolt to a marble base at all,

Cheers,
                  Michael

Comment

I agree that this piece was created during the TR, and it was probably intended to sit on a person's desk, where it would primarily be viewed from the front side...excepting the person who sat behind the desk!

I wonder whether this may have been created as an award of some kind, with an inscription or dedication engraved onto the ball?

Br. James
                    Hi Br. James, I don't know if the one on the ball was created as an award of some kind but I have found another identical eagle that was. This one is on a pole with an award inscription "Wonderpreis des Jungbannes 561".

Cheers,
                    Michael

Comment

Many thanks, Michael...and you certainly have a vast supply of eagles and eagle-photos to draw from! This latest piece does make the point, though from my amateur point of view, artistically speaking, it seems most unusual to me that such pieces would have been executed without being 'finished' on the reverse! It is obvious to me that ANY piece of sculpture mounted on a marble base, including the ones you've shown here, should have been finished on the reverse...! It just makes visual sense to me!

Thanks again, my friend, and do enjoy your weekend,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X