Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heinrich Himmler silverware,

Heinrich Himmler silverware,

I am posting these from a very old collection that I will admit I found these to be very interesting in their illusionary HH/SS logo. You can see it as you pull the picture away from your eyes a little. Has anybody ever seen another? There are four pieces in this grouping.
    Attached Files

Himmler would have probably been so delighted about these treasure pieces that the designer would have been invited for longer holidays in Dachau.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
      Himmler would have probably been so delighted about these treasure pieces that the designer would have been invited for longer holidays in Dachau.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post

Comment

Hi Shawn,

According to James A. Yannes' "The Encyclopedia of Third Reich Tableware" (2013), Himmler did use the "HH" initial format for his flatware, though Jim Yannes does not show your style as a known example. This is by no means conclusive, just as there were many styles and designs of flatware made as gifts for Hitler and all of the leading Nazi bigwigs over the years, though some still haven't come to light even now. The question regarding the pieces you show must be: what is the provenance behind this set of utensils? Without any provenance, these are merely nice pieces that COULD have belonged to Heinrich Himmler...

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Can you guys and gals see the "SS" and how the artist made them? I wish I could show these in person as the illisuisionary aspect of how the SS and HH intertwine is much more pronounced. I have been in contact with Jim on these. I'll let you know what we fine.

Comment

The design is interesting with the runic effect, but the execution is IMO problematic--they look, from these images, to be hand engraved but by an amateur rather than by a skilled engraver.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

These were also with them, Holding the piece in the hand, you can actually see the countries outline on the globe. I wish I had better picture of the HH/SS. It is actually much better executed than the pictures are doing it justice. The illusion effect is much much much more pronouced when seeing it in person. Up close you see the "HH" and as you bring them away from you eyes, the, "SS" come into a really deep focus. I am working with some others on these right now.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Bern View Post
                  Can you guys and gals see the "SS" and how the artist made them? I wish I could show these in person as the illisuisionary aspect of how the SS and HH intertwine is much more pronounced. I have been in contact with Jim on these. I'll let you know what we fine.
                  Not sure what you expect to find and it's not like they registered these on an Amazon gift list. The way to authenticate or to approach this stuff is with the eyes and against other known pieces and styles of engraving and in conjunction with proof marks and any available materials " other than " books. You can use books, you just cannot believe them. The H.H silver is suspect, it's not right and done in a manner that is not consistent with what one would expect to see. The engraving itself is sort of what you might find on trench art and add a couple notches on that, but it kind of ends there. Where are your proof marks? Your photos suck, von Ribbentrop is irrelevant to the H.H. Who are the sellers and what is the supposed story?.

Comment

Having a bad day Mr. Wraith?

Comment

Not at all, 95% or better of tableware related to personalities and even some organizations is bad. Most of it can be picked off on a maker mark or proof before you go anywhere else. Then you have enough known and accepted patterns to utilize for comparison for engraving etc. So much bad material in the market that if you wish to purchase the material you need to know it or at least break it down properly, and many of the early references are flawed with one being loaded with fakes. Can't speak for the Yannes book as I don't have it but in many cases authors utilize the same data and you end up stacking bad data and you get a higher lump of paper on the same turds.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X