No announcement yet.

Berchtesgade/kehlsteinhaus chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some chairs exactly like that in collections in the States (particularly the second one shown). The story is, that one of the American commanders of the recreation area took about 10 of these out of the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's nest) and shipped them back to the States, and gave them to high ranking military personnel. I have seen a couple in private collections, and there is supposedly one in the museum at Fort Campbell, KY.

But as Thorsten said, these may very well have actually come from the Platterhof. When the US Army turned the Eagle's Nest back over to German control, they sent most of the original furniture down the hill to the Hotel Gen. Walker (ex-Platterhof) and the former Kanzlei complex.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen anything like this in a period photo? Marked on the underside. Fantasy?

William Kramer
      Attached Files
      Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Hi William,

I don't recall ever seeing a hassock like the one you've shown us...but then again, I doubt I'd have been looking at hassocks in period photos! But I don't like the eagle and swaz imprint on the bottom; it looks home-made to me. Just my opinion, of course. And the hassock covering appears to be newer than 70+ years old, to me.

I have no idea what the "B.O." might represent or stand for, and the eagle design doesn't strike familiar with me, either.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Hi guys,

I am that friend of Etienne and decided to become a Association Member of the Wehrmacht-Awards.

These chairs are in my possesion since 1988, I bought them for DM. 200 each, transportation was more expensive than bying.
          I know for a fact that the leather chairs are from the Kaffeesaal of the Platterhof, several of them are in use in the Tourist-office of the nearby village of Marktschellenberg.

I also have a chair of the Raststatte am Chiemsee, this one is stamped with the Chiemsee -symbol.
          But it's the ones with the pillows that puzzle me, allthough I am fairly sure that the originate from the Hoheitsgebiet, for two reasons : the lady who sold me the chairs is/was not very populair with local authorities because of her opinions and the books she published so they can't be bought from the authorities and second, the also have the stove (Kachelofen) of the Göringhaus which her grandfather took after the bombing of april 25th.

Does anyone know of any archives i can adress or knows collectors who specificly collect these kind of artifacts ?

After over 25 years I would really like to know where the came from.
          Last edited by Hansje; 12-15-2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Hi,
            I 'd love one but think they my to rich for my pocket.
            Mark

Comment

Hi Hans,

Good to have you on board

Comment

Berchtesgade/kehlsteinhaus chairs

Originally posted by Hansje View Post
                Hi guys,

I am that friend of Etienne and decided to become a Association Member of the Wehrmacht-Awards.

These chairs are in my possesion since 1988, I bought them for DM. 200 each, transportation was more expensive than bying.
                I know for a fact that the leather chairs are from the Kaffeesaal of the Platterhof, several of them are in use in the Tourist-office of the nearby village of Marktschellenberg.

I also have a chair of the Raststatte am Chiemsee, this one is stamped with the Chiemsee -symbol.
                But it's the ones with the pillows that puzzle me, allthough I am fairly sure that the originate from the Hoheitsgebiet, for two reasons : the lady who sold me the chairs is/was not very populair with local authorities because of her opinions and the books she published so they can't be bought from the authorities and second, the also have the stove (Kachelofen) of the Göringhaus which her grandfather took after the bombing of april 25th.

Does anyone know of any archives i can adress or knows collectors who specificly collect these kind of artifacts ?

After over 25 years I would really like to know where the came from.

Hi there, a while back I looked into this and whether it was possible to identify their building/place of origin.

All I can say for sure is it wasn't the Kehlsteinhaus as they are slightly different in design. I don't think you will ever know for certain, as these chairs were used all over in the hotels, party buildings etc.

Chris

Comment

I would like to think that the pillowed chairs have been used in buildings for dignitaries since the are somewhat simular to the ones used in the Kehlsteinhaus.
                  They are certain to come of the Obersalzberg-area, maybe this one collector/historian will read this post one day, and provide the answer

Comment

Originally posted by Hansje View Post
                    Hi guys,
                    Oh, I know (knew?) the lady you got these from.

(Is she still alive? I haven't seen her around there for 2-3 years ... and no, I'm not talking about I.S.).

Comment

I think you mean S.F.
                      I was in Berchtesgaden last year march, but her shop was closed because it was not holiday season yet.
                      But I looked her up, and she is still listed in the Berchtesgadener phonebook.
                      Last edited by Hansje; 12-17-2016, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Kehlsteinhaus chairs

I'm considering to sell one of the leather chairs for €1800.

Comment

Hi guys,

I will post some detailed shots of the impressive closet from the Obersalzberg residence of SS-Obergruppenführer Martin Bormann soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                            Hi guys,

I will post some detailed shots of the impressive closet from the Obersalzberg residence of SS-Obergruppenführer Martin Bormann soon.
                            Fantastic, looking forward to seeing it...

Comment

The Bormann closet!

Here we go - for doubtless evidence of it´s authenticity see also Hermann Historica Auction 76 Lot 7126 and 7128.
                              Attached Files

Comment

More.

The left door in detail:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X