No announcement yet.

Non-portable GPB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, Joe. By the time of the opening of the New Reichschancellery Building, the offices of Gauleitung Berlin were located on the south-east corner of the intersection of Hermann.Goring Str. and Vossstrasse. I've always found it interesting that Goebbels' offices literally surrounded the New Reichschancellery -- the Propaganda Ministry Building was directly across Wilhelmstr. from #77, adjacent to the Wilhelmsplatz, and his office as Gauleiter of Berlin at the other end of that block of Vossstr.!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
      You're right, Joe. By the time of the opening of the New Reichschancellery Building, the offices of Gauleitung Berlin were located on the south-east corner of the intersection of Hermann.Goring Str. and Vossstrasse. I've always found it interesting that Goebbels' offices literally surrounded the New Reichschancellery -- the Propaganda Ministry Building was directly across Wilhelmstr. from #77, adjacent to the Wilhelmsplatz, and his office as Gauleiter of Berlin at the other end of that block of Vossstr.!

Br. James
      Well the Vossstr. address was effective in the 1934 Gau handbook and the H-G Str. address came from the 1941 phone book. But the location in this photo does not appear to me to be any party HG. No flag or information boards. And the GPB up high would seem disrespectful on a party buidling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
        Those are the two addresses I have from 1934 (Vossstrasse) and 1941 (H-G Strasse). Matt, can you make out any of the letters on the corner street sign or the white on black sign to the left of the entrance?
        Got lucky here- it was the corner of Hedemannstrasse and Wilhelmstrasse
        cheers
        Matt
        Last edited by Matthew; 11-25-2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

hedemannstrasse 10- nsdap Parteihaus- for all your nazi needs

Apparently the address of the building was Hedemannstrasse 10.
          Next to where "Der Angriff" was being published from.
          I must say there would be a few of us salivating next to that window if we could go back in time.

cheers
          Matt
          Attached Files

Comment

Another small pic showing details of the front elevation of the same building.

cheers
            Matt
            Attached Files

Comment

I agree with your information, Joe. I believe the offices of Gauleitung Berlin were initially located along the block of Vossstr. that was eventually demolished to make way for the construction of the New Reichschancellery, and the Gauleitung offices were moved down to the corner of Hermann.Goring.Str. and opened for business by 1941. So the information in both of your reference works seems right to me.

Br. James

Comment

Time Travel

Jon, if you were there at that time..You would have a gaggle of VERY ANGRY men after you wanting thier Blood Orders back! They wouldn't be worth the same money as today either! Stay here with US Jon! Butch

Comment

Jon, as they say, Keep calm and carry on.

Mil

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
                    Apparently the address of the building was Hedemannstrasse 10.
                    Next to where "Der Angriff" was being published from.
                    I must say there would be a few of us salivating next to that window if we could go back in time.

cheers
                    Matt
                    Matt, I am still trying to get oriented. Is that Wilhelmstr. going to the left or right. In 1927, Der Angriff moved across the street and up a couple blocks to 106 Wilhelmstr, a couple of doors down from 108, the RSHA HQ in the Prinz Albrecht Palais.

The first photo might be the Ortgruppen offices that were at 135 Wilhelmstrasse I.

Comment

So the photo in note #1 of this thread is NOT that of Gauleitung Berlin's main entrance?

Br. James

Comment

confused myself a bit here

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
                        Matt, I am still trying to get oriented. Is that Wilhelmstr. going to the left or right. In 1927, Der Angriff moved across the street and up a couple blocks to 106 Wilhelmstr, a couple of doors down from 108, the RSHA HQ in the Prinz Albrecht Palais.

The first photo might be the Ortgruppen offices that were at 135 Wilhelmstrasse I.
                        Only one end of this building survived in its mostly original state including the outside elevation- it would be the end running along Hedemannstrasse (pic 1). The other end of this building (where the pictured office was located) has been demolished and rebuilt (now an apartment building and a Chinese restaurant- pic 2). So when looking at the picture that started this thread- Wilhelmstrasse would be to the viewers right and Hedemannstrasse to the left.

Hopefully the following pics will help visualizing.

cheers
                        Matt
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X