Clear All

NSDAP Golden Party Badge AH

Hello everyone,

I appreciate your thoughts on this one.

Thanks!
    Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I am very uncomfortable with this piece, for the following reasons:
    1. The oakleaf wreath surround on the obverse is too prominently cut -- the central vein of each leaf is too high;
    2. The reverse shows no maker's mark on the pin plate, nor is there a "Patent Protected" mark on the base plate ("Ges. Gesch."); and
    3. The order of the inscription on the AH Honorary GPB is normally "A.H." followed by the date of award, and this peace carries that information in reverse.

While there is no acceptable reason possible for the wreath to be as described, and wreathes that are so cut normally indicate fake badges, the only legitimate reason I can think of for the absence of both the "Ges. Gesch." mark and the pin plate stamped with "Deschler u. Sohn München 9." is that this badge's reverse may have been filed down and refinished for some reason, and that would also provide a possible reason for the inscription to be reversed. But all of these things converging on one badge are extremely unlikely, especially with the obverse wreath being as it is, so I would not want this piece in my collection.

Hope these thoughts are helpful. Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
      Hi Klaus,

I am very uncomfortable with this piece, for the following reasons:
      1. The oakleaf wreath surround on the obverse is too prominently cut -- the central vein of each leaf is too high;
      2. The reverse shows no maker's mark on the pin plate, nor is there a "Patent Protected" mark on the base plate ("Ges. Gesch."); and
      3. The order of the inscription on the AH Honorary GPB is normally "A.H." followed by the date of award, and this peace carries that information in reverse.

While there is no acceptable reason possible for the wreath to be as described, and wreathes that are so cut normally indicate fake badges, the only legitimate reason I can think of for the absence of both the "Ges. Gesch." mark and the pin plate stamped with "Deschler u. Sohn München 9." is that this badge's reverse may have been filed down and refinished for some reason, and that would also provide a possible reason for the inscription to be reversed. But all of these things converging on one badge are extremely unlikely, especially with the obverse wreath being as it is, so I would not want this piece in my collection.

Hope these thoughts are helpful. Cheers,

Br. James
      Br. James

I have to disagree with you on this one. 1) no veins showing in my view of the wreath and the leaves seem normally shaped. 2) look closely at the upper left corner of the pin plate of the above pin in the third photo for a tell-tale corner of the trademark sticking out from under the plate. The plates were often attached over the trademark, like this one of mine.

3) The placement of AH initials and date seem normal with similar engraving machine.

Comment

IMO it's a good one.

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Totally original

Comment

Original, AH. Nice.

Comment

It looks fine to me as well.

Comment

Many thanks everyone for your comments!
                Also to Br. James!

Comment

The laurel patterns remind me of a 30mm I just had, but had to return. The rather sharp-ish edges, the large gap between the touching laurel points and the flatness overall appearance of the Kränzen, unlike the normally seen more roundish tubular, make me a bit uncomfortable. Albeit, the red enamel on Klaus' GPB has that nice vibrant colour, unlike mine, which is rather dark-ish and is absent of the little dottish pattern similar to a basketball. The spacing, on my ex-30mm, between the bottom of the 'Sozialistische' and the silver circle below it, is too wide also for my comfort. The shape of the overall letterings, on mine, is also rather roundish, unlike the more squarish shape which I'm familiar with. Albeit, sometimes the silvering fades off of these letters. But, to me the impression of both badges are not as crisp as others. Here's mine with the matching numbered 24mm which are good IMO.

PS: I'm not condemning both GPBs discussed. They may well be just another perfectly original variant which I'm not familiar with.

Last edited by sdesember; 11-13-2013, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X