Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordensburg Vogelsang Tabelware

Dear Sirs;

Just wanted to share these three artifacts from the Burgschänke at Ordensburg Vogelsang.
    Have no idea how rare or valuable they are, but I recently visited Vogelsang, and when the items popped up on the german Ebay site a few days later, I couldn´t resist purchasing them.
    I think it is rather remarkable that they have survived in so relatively good condition; Vogelsang was quite heavily bombed, followed by occupation by American, British and Belgian troops. (And looted a couple of times in between.)

Anyone know of similar tabelware out there - and who the maker is ?

They are possibly cream pitchers, intended for meal tables at the Vogelsang dining hall. I have a similar set of individual creamers 'liberated' by a GI friend of mine who picked them up at Cafe Vaterland in Aachen; each is marked on the bottom with 2 cl. (indicating the pitcher's capacity at 2 centiliters), so I assume that the marking of 15 cl. on your pieces is a similar indication. The crossed arrows and F., W. & J. is probably the maker's mark; the 25 may be the maker's pattern number.

Hope these thoughts are helpful...very nice pieces indeed!

Br. James

Comment

I hold 1936 dining hall pictures, and the creamers for the students were ceramic with a colored line around the outside top(as were soup bowls , plates, creamers, and cups. Of course , these may have been used later, but nowhere Iam aware of, as in the photos it show rows of tables all filled with bread baskets , coffee cups, salt and peppers, sugar containers, and plates...nothing pewter in any type on any table, and there must be twenty rows or more. Some day I will publish the photos , so I can't show them now...besides I would have shown the dining table, but it doesn't have this pice on it anywhere. maybe used somewhere else....you will better appreciate the over 100 photos I own when I get around to it.. I actually had planned to do this project over 5 years ago....and my fair weathered friend from cal who I always treated honestly, and he only screwed me in return, (hope he got his his due rewards by now)who also is a liar,turned out to be a dishonest crook after 35 years of knowing him, who agreed to help with reading the back of all the photos , and this bad experience caused me to decide to do it later down the road instead...now everyone seems to have an interest . Before, even bender told me nobody was interested in ordensburg fogelsang ,when I tried to take the book to his publishing house..back in the early nineties ,and we are friends....SO....Things chaNGE . SO I hope you get an answer more productive , with a photo..IF they were used there somewhere else, but I still think not in the students dining hall. for those who live near where the eifel is, it shows what the dining hall chairs look like, and I bet many are still in civvy homes all across germany today....heres the thread with some silverware marked the same :http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=546699
      Last edited by juoneen; 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

A very solid and informative response offered by Juoneen...though I'm sorry to hear that he has had many years of difficulty in publishing what sounds like it would have been/will be a strong resource in our libraries when it does come to print! Concerning these pieces in light of Juoneen's note, I wonder if they might have been used in a separate dining room at the school, perhaps a dining room for instructors and officials of the institution? Just a thought...

Br. James

Comment

Burgschänke / Speisesaall

Wow... thank you all for the very comprehensive response..!

Thus inspired, I just turned a couple of pages in a really nice book I bought in the shop at IP Vogelsang, (Ruth Schmitz-Enke and Monika Herzog; "Die Ehemalige Ordensburg Vogelsang"), and I actually found a couple of pictures, showing the Speisesaal where the tables were filled with ceramic cups, plates, etc., exactly as described by juoneen.
          But if I am not mistaken, the dining hall, or Speisesaal, was situated in the large east wing of the main complex, whereas the Burgschänke was more like a bar, or pub, situated in a much smaller, seperate building ?
          (The Burgschänke also featured a few leisure activities, such as bowling, billard, etc.)

Comment

Sounds like you've found the location where these pieces were used! Congrats!

Br. James

Comment

I hope someday soon to self publish the photo album book , and share it with those who appreciate it ,(I never agreed with roger benders assessment , buthe is a straight up guy, and I do feel he felt it would not be a big seller, likely why he passed on the offer by me to bring it to him...frank heukemes also turned me down, but these type publishers make the lions share, and the authors get zilch basicly, so self publishing has become the norn out of necessity, and screw the publishers like this , Ill print it either on demand, or as an e book. if no other way) and it may be useful for uniform and ordensburg collectors in the future, as I always felt it was an important place . I do know the mysticism of the TR was taught there, and many of the young men in this particular class went on to become ss men, gauliters, etc and were to be the leaders, because in 36 , the students we not children, but full grown men. Thanks for showing your very kewell e bay find....
              Last edited by juoneen; 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X