Political gorget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Political gorget

I found this today at the flea market. Is there any chance this could be an original????
    If so, anyone have an eagle that goes to it??
    Attached Files

Rzm mark
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks good to me. I think to remember there was an eagle somewhere being offered, I'll keep my eyes open. But you are also missing the chain.

Comment

Hi John,

Yes, this piece has every chance of being original to the period, IMHO! It was made by the firm of Eugen Schmidhäussler of Pforzheim. In addition to finding an eagle to replace the missing one, you will also need to find a neck chain, and such a chain should also be marked with RZM M1/128, as well. I have a complete example of this PL Gorget in my collection, including the same color wool covering on the reverse; it's one of my favorite pieces. I also hope that you didn't pay very much for this gorget base plate, since finding a replacement eagle/swaz is only the beginning of the problems ahead; attaching the eagle without causing damage to the obverse finish will not be easy, nor will removing the backing cloth and replacing it! Neck chains are occasionally seen on the dealer sites, but to get one with the Schmidhäussler RZM license code number may take you a while.

Best of luck with this long-term project! Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Wonder what happened to the eagle. It is still nice though....

Comment

Thank you guys

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
              Hi John,

Yes, this piece has every chance of being original to the period, IMHO! It was made by the firm of Eugen Schmidhäussler of Pforzheim. In addition to finding an eagle to replace the missing one, you will also need to find a neck chain, and such a chain should also be marked with RZM M1/128, as well. I have a complete example of this PL Gorget in my collection, including the same color wool covering on the reverse; it's one of my favorite pieces. I also hope that you didn't pay very much for this gorget base plate, since finding a replacement eagle/swaz is only the beginning of the problems ahead; attaching the eagle without causing damage to the obverse finish will not be easy, nor will removing the backing cloth and replacing it! Neck chains are occasionally seen on the dealer sites, but to get one with the Schmidhäussler RZM license code number may take you a while.

Best of luck with this long-term project! Cheers,

Br. James
              Thank you Br. James for all help
              I found this eagle but I dont know if this is the right one?
              Attached Files

Comment

It's the right eagle.... condition matches well too.

Comment

Originally posted by kyles bullets View Post
                  It's the right eagle.... condition matches well too.
                  Thanks

Comment

Oh wow, what a score, you're half way there.

Comment

Will look like these.....

Attached Files
                      RonR

Comment

Those are great examples Ron! Like the first one you posted more though....

Comment

nice discovery
                          it will take supplement
                          Here are mine with one of the same manufacturer

dsc_1105a-3d41594.jpg

dsc_1296-3d40e17.jpg

Comment

Yes, John, that's the right eagle, and from the sharp and dramatic details you can easily see why someone might want to remove it from the back plate and use it as part of a display in some way! Of course I never would suggest doing such damage to a piece like this!

Thanks for adding your PL display, Gerome -- always exciting!

Br. James

Comment

If anyone has the right style blank gorget, here is a Luftwaffe flagbearer center.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...-EAGLE-EMBLEM#

Barry
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X