Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

search collection

hello,
    I'm Looking for of most beautiful collections of this forum.
    please, help me find them, post links

cordially thanks

In most cases, the most beautiful collections are kept private and are not showed anywhere. Exept in some fancy books who show only the top of the iceberg

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
    Freedom is not for Free

Comment

In most cases, the most beautiful collections are kept private and are not showed anywhere. Exept in some fancy books who show only the top of the iceberg
      -Why is this Wim???

Comment

Most advanced collections are in the hands of wealthy people. Some of these people have important jobs and don't want to go public with their collection. Of course some of them are here at WAF and sometimes they show us a bit of their dream pieces. But in general these things are kept strictly private.

I f you browse through books like "German War Booty" or Catalogues like the one from Detlev Niemann, you can figure out a bit who has the best of the best. And even then there are still marvelous, hidden collections which see no day light.

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by shaneos3 View Post
          -Why is this Wim???
          Many advanced collectors don't share their collections on forums due to many newbies in the hobby who know nothing criticising their pieces. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
            Many advanced collectors don't share their collections on forums due to many newbies in the hobby who know nothing criticising their pieces. JMO.
            Indeed another reason, Erich. But at the moment I don't think in terms of an average advanced collection but rather at the best of the best: Kriegsmarine Honour Dagger , a German cross with brilliants Knight crosses with brilliants and their special maps, a Deutschland Erwache Standard etc.... I guess newbies can't give much comments on such pieces (me neihter)

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
            Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Wim Vangossum View Post
              Indeed another reason, Erich. But at the moment I don't think in terms of an average advanced collection but rather at the best of the best: Kriegsmarine Honour Dagger , a German cross with brilliants Knight crosses with brilliants and their special maps, a Deutschland Erwache Standard etc.... I guess newbies can't give much comments on such pieces (me neihter)

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
              But they do Wim even when they have no knowledge of the piece. I have seen it many times on forums.

Comment

Shaneos3, Wim says
                Most advanced collections are in the hands of wealthy people. Some of these people have important jobs and don't want to go public with their collection. Of course some of them are here at WAF and sometimes they show us a bit of their dream pieces. But in general these things are kept strictly private.
                I am NOT a wealthy person, nor do I have what could be considered an "advanced collection" and I don't have an "Important Job". What I do have is a huge passion for Third Reich history and over 20 years of collecting experience. During this time I have manged to collect a number of items that I consider important historical relics of the era and some of these are indeed rare, unique and exceptional .My point is that I agree with Erich S 100%.
                Many advanced collectors don't share their collections on forums due to many newbies in the hobby who know nothing criticising their pieces.
                However it is not just the"newbies". Until a year or so ago I had never had a problem "going public" with my collection but after Mil & Br. James (two very experienced & usually knowledgeable collectors on this forum) called one of my desk eagles a fake (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and some of the most experienced Eagle collectors in the United States affirming its originality) I vowed never to post any of my "treasures" again. It is very easy for an ignorant collector to call a passionate and experienced collectors original item a fake with absolutely no substantive evidence at all. The issue is then that no matter how many other experts back up the items originality, the item is forever "tainted" by this call. By all means if an item is fake, then call it a fake and provide the reasoning behind the call but if a collector doesn't know if an item is real or a fake (especially if it is a rare or unique) then they should just admit that they don't know and not just take the easy option of calling it a fake. This is the reason that myself and some other collectors that I know wont post our collections anymore. Best Regards, Michael

Comment

hello,
                  oh I did not know that "morons" pollute the forum,
                  I'm new, six years of research and collection of the Third Reich, it is my greatest passion, and I post this post because I like to see the collection that makes me dream ^ ^ I'm glad to see objects that belonged to the third reich in collection

I saw the collection of wolf & hardin, I have been amazing if ONLY I could see with my own eyes , i real happy

thank you for all response ,
                  PS : sorry for my bad language but i'm french

Comment

I think most problems start with rarely found pieces in combination with a huge lack of knowledge. Oakleaves collectors for instance, now their stuff into the last detail. The know every die flaw by heart and leave no much space for unspecialized discussion. (Besides that we don't see much of these things shown here on the forum albeit some collectors here have more of them then I have
                    EK I's )

With some of the other rare stuff, only little facts are known and then the speculation starts. And this is no fun if the owner in question has it from a reliable source. I can both undertstand the thoughts from Erich and mloppkit.

After 15 years of collecting I got two such pieces myself. If I post them they will scream it's fake. But I know they are good because there was only one (good) man between the pieces and the relatives of who once possessed the items. Now if I had not known that source, I wouldn't give a single EURO/DOLLAR for those two collectibles in question.

So I sometimes can understand the attacks from other colletors. An in some cases the attacks are even justified, when old advanced collectors showing with proud their low numbered attributted Golden Party Badges who in fact are just mid 80's Austrian fakes.

@ pimouse059: Your English is fine for a Frenchman Besides that: thank you for this interesting discussion thread. The Wolf and Hardin Collection is indeed world class but there are more...

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
                    Last edited by Wim Vangossum; 08-25-2013, 01:13 PM.
                    Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Thank you for sharing your feelings about negative comments here, Michael. I'm not sure how to respond. If this and similar forums exist as places where anyone can post a question or a photo and ask for the opinions of other collectors, then there are bound to be negative responses and also disagreements. "Opinions" are just that -- personal points of view, hopefully based upon some degree of knowledge and study of the subject...and nothing more than that! I can certainly attest that I have been disagreed-with on a number of occasions here and elsewhere, and I always seek to learn from those disagreements. Whenever someone takes the time to detail his/her disagreement from my own point of view, that is an opportunity to learn from someone with hopefully greater experience with the subject than I have had. But when someone offers a comment like "It's a fake!" or "I don't like it!", there is nothing substantial to learn from there -- it is only another collector's opinion, offered with nothing to explain or support it.

I hope I have avoided such curt responses. In addition to often being rude, they offer nothing to the learning process involved here. If I think a piece is a fake, there should be something more to back that opinion up...otherwise, the opinion is not worth offering at all. But even if I offer my reasoning, that doesn't make it "God's honest truth!" It is still my opinion, though perhaps with some degree of experience to support it. And that's all it can be.

While I have been studying and collecting these subjects for over 50 years, that does not make me an "expert" on ANYTHING! All it makes me is one who has given very much time to pursue, read and study various facets of this huge and ever-fascinating hobby of ours...and nothing more than that. Opinions I have offered -- in honesty and with some thought behind them -- have nonetheless been proved to have been based upon some matter of untruth, some error or lacking in my experience, and so my opinion has been shown to me to be in need of revising. I hope I am always open to that possibility! And that is also why my name does not show up on many different forums; I know myself well enough to know what I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT hopefully as well as what I believe I do have something of value to offer in an opinion.

This is my honest point of view, and it is all that I can offer on the subject. Sorry to chunter on so long!

Br. James

Comment

hello,
                        thank you for your impressive and constructive responses, thanks to you I understand why some collectors refuse to exhibit their collection.
                          From my point of view I think every collection that needs to be shared because it tells an extraordinary all parts of the story that has seen falling into forgetting. My point seen only my opinion
                        thank you to you again for your answers

Comment

Comment

unfortunately it exists on other forums, some take pleasure in breaking parts

@ MLOPPKIT damage I love your eagles

Comment

I keep trying to work out how to word my response to this discussion. Surely people want to keep checking their collections so that they stay up with new research. But, and Yes, I can well understand how people who do keep up with the latest research and have put the hard work into their collections in the first place, would get pretty p*ssed off with off handed comments about fakes without any basis.

Its a real shame we don't get to see the gems in peoples' collections. I totally agree that we're missing out on important history.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X