The meaning of RAD "control marks"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The meaning of RAD "control marks"

I wonder if anyone could enlighten me as to the meaning of the letters within the inverted triangles on RAD implements and materials? It seems that some pieces (RAD daggers, for instance) include the inverted triangle with RADJ within, while other pieces (RAD pole tops, for example) have the inverted triangle with RADL within, on the reverse pole sleeve. The Angolia/Littlejohn book on labor organizations defines these triangles as "control marks," but with no further distinction between them. Can anyone please teach me about the meaning of these different sets of letters within RAD triangles?

Much appreciated indeed,

Br. James

No responses yet?! Perhaps I've posted this question on the wrong thread? I'll move it to the Police and Civil Awards thread.

Br. James

Comment

Hi Br.James. Not RADJ, or as Angolia writes RJAD... but simply RLAD, the Abb. for: Reichsarbeitsdienstleitung

Comment

As said the abbreviation is not RADJ or RJAD, but is correct as RLAD, in fact being the permission-code (Zulassungszeichen) from the Reichsleitung (RL) des Reichsarbeitsdienstes (AD) , to be precise!
        This is for example stated with the description for the cap badge (Mützenabzeichen neuer Art), as sanctioned March 13, 1936. With section "D" the indications at the reverse were described
        (Anlage 10a zum Entwurf einer Bekleidungsvorschrift für den Reichsarbeitsdienst), which was a part for the uniform-regulation and as published with the Verordnungsblatt der Reichseitung des RAD nr.29/36.
        Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for your authoritative knowledge, friends, and very helpful! So, am I to understand that there was no such code as RJAD on any article, but only RLAD? Your further assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

A code with a J in it never has existed. It was nonsense as what Angolia said in his book, but all took it over and so for some years it was explained as RJAD. The "J" is in fact the "L" and so shown the other way around!

Comment

Thank you for your further comment, Wim. Shortly after I posted my last note I looked again at the acceptance triangle on the reverse ricasso on my RAD EM Hewer and it occurred to me that what I had been reading as a "J" could well have been an "L" written in reverse in order to align with the triangle's monogram style. Your note now confirms that, for which I am most grateful!

Br. James

Comment

Hello Br.James,

I thought this thread had disappeared, but I see now it is also included in the threads for police etc.-organizations. There I have added the information I had controlled also for 1939. Nothing had changed and the "L" was still used the other way round, looking as a "J".

Comment

Many thanks again, Wim, and apologies for any confusion I created by moving this thread to the Police and Civil Organizations Forum.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X