Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German consulate schield foreign countries

Dear Members,

Found an very rare and amazing piece that i want to share.
    The German Consulate schield for foreign countries.

This one came from the Netherlands and was hidden for many year's, imho there are not many more of these baby's left.

Found an picture of it in an book that was sold by usmbooks.com:
    http://www.usmbooks.com/hoheitszeichen.html

Size is around 69 CM, and will make an excellent display piece for my future bunker.

Enjoy!
    Ron
    Attached Files

last picture
    Attached Files

Comment

The official text should be Konsulat. As such it is also mentioned in the Reichsgesetzblatt on February 6, 1939 and as such it is shown in various forms in my book "Wall Plaques and Official Office Signboards of Hitler's Germany", pages 290 through 294. The official size should be 80 x 70 cm.

Comment

very very nice, a dream for me

other exempl for sale to Jeff Clarks

http://nsdapuniforms.com/engine/insp...SDAP+Militaria

Comment

Nice and rare piece!!

Mike

Comment

Wilhelm Saris is right, of course, as to the spelling of "consulate" in German, but I wonder whether versions of this sign were produced bearing translations of the words into the national languages of the countries in which it was being displayed? It would seem logical to me to display a sign written in the language that could be easily read by the local people; signs in foreign languages are often less than helpful, IMO! If this is so, then perhaps "Deustches Consulat" is the way "German Consulate" is written in Dutch?

Just a thought...

Br. James

Comment

The signs were in the German language, as far as the information from the Reichsgesetzblatt says. They give no information for other languages.

It is known in foreign countries the plaques Deutsches Konsulat and Deutsche Botschaft were used. Do you see they used a translation on a plaque as German Embassy?
              A consulate was mainly and merely meant for Germans in that particlar country and in fact hardly for the local inhabitants! Another sample (but from another area) are the indications for
              the HJ triangles and shoulder-straps, worn by the HJ in foreign countries. These are in the German language also: for example Palästina.

By the way: as far as I know during the Third Reich-period the word in Dutch was then as konsulaat (Duits konsulaat). The old style of writing for konsulaat was also in use in South-Africa.
              A teacher for Dutch (neerlandicus) possibly knows how it indeed was written about 1940-1945.

Further I do not know what to do with the earlier mentioned size of 69.0 cm. The Reichsgesetzblatt specifically mentions the only official size to be 70.5 x 80.0 cm. The plaque anyway
              should be oval and not round! In the originals, I have seen, there are NO holes, but bars at the reverse to hang the plaque onto a wall.
              Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
                The plaque anyway should be oval and not round!
                Correct - in use:
                Attached Files

Comment

Great photograph. When one looks well one can see the plaque is positioned by other means then screws in front of the plaque.

Comment

Dear all,

Thank you for the comment's, i have measured only the with on the frontside.

Will take better from backside when i'm home.

This one was found around ten year's ago covered in white chalk paint, some speck's are still visible.

Will also take pic's from the backside.

Regards,
                    Ron

Comment

Sold today at Hermann-Historica auction for 4.200,-EUR (plus 23% fees):
                      Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Jan Holland; 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Comment

To me the spelling error is a major red flag... To accomodate foreigners it should have read "German Consulate" (with "e' at the end!)...
                            or "Deutsches Konsulat" or "Deutsches Generalkonsulat" or "Deutsche Botschaft"... Those are the proper variations I think!
                            Not half German with spelling error...it's a fakers error IMO
                            These signs are always in German and German only, an official State shield with no deviation...Modern German embassy and consulate signs follow the same practice...always in German! Hope I am wrong as its an excellent wall hanger for the collection room and does show some "period" enamel damage...(artificially done?)

Here's another one for sale:
                            http://nsdapuniforms.com/engine/inspect.asp?Item=2226

and here:
                            http://www.dnfa.com/search.asp?view=...queid=435180-1

Attached Files
                            Last edited by NickG; 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                              Modern German embassy and consulate signs follow the same practice...always in German!
                              I like the older design much more...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X