Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For reference can you post photos of the reverse too.

Comment

Originally posted by CPB View Post
      For reference can you post photos of the reverse too.
      I assume that you mean me? I do not have the spoon. It was offered to me and these pics are the only ones I have. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Okay, sure.

Comment

Hi Torsten,

I agree with Fredy; this doesn't look good to me, even without seeing the reverse. Genuine AH Formal Pattern pieces have sharply squared ends to their handles, and the eagle and initials look like a poorly-cast copy to me. For reference, take a look at Brent's Antiques website for good pieces of both the Formal and the Informal Patterns.

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

What does a CZ fake look like?

Comment

Its just heavily worn...

Comment

Originally posted by Obersalzberg View Post
                Its just heavily worn...
                Im new to this so Im just asking.. it gets worn, it's a fake or is there something that we should be looking at that shows it as a fake???
                Cheers

Comment

It would be very interesting to know where this is being advertised/offered.

Comment

just looks well worn actually rather than fake? perhaps having a look at the reverse will help. I've not seen any copies anything like that , have you guys?

Comment

I agree Jon. Like I say, it would be great to try and get some more photos and see how and where this is being made available. If it is a fake it's a big step up from anything I've seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                        just looks well worn actually rather than fake? perhaps having a look at the reverse will help. I've not seen any copies anything like that , have you guys?
                        I have made the seller aware of this thread. He said that he would send me more pics tomorrow and I will post them for your review then. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

interesting! Can we see the silver hallmarks on the back?

Comment

I'm sticking with my previously-stated opinion, but will find the reverse of the handle worth a look, too!

Regardless of the amount of buffing and polishing that this piece may have taken...or not taken, if it is a fake...the corners of the base of the handle are too rounded off as compared with genuine examples of the AH Formal Pattern. And that would not have been effected by zealously over-buffing over time.

Br. James

Comment

James - I have no doubt you're right. From my perspective, I think this one deserves some discussion simply because it appears to be a 'good' fake...at least the best one I have seen in a while.

Comment

No doubt about that, CPB. Lets see what the handle's reverse shows us.

In my experience, it is quite rare to see an example of AH silverware in either pattern that appears to have been greatly worn down due to excessive polishing, as this piece portrays. Indeed, if such wearing away of the pattern would have taken place during it's use in the TR, such a piece would have been sent back to the retail jeweler as inferior quality! So that is a point of interest. But the corners of the handle's base continue to tell the whole backstory, as I see it...

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X