This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
    I collect - among other things - TR personality items & have been studying the major dealers' websites for months. I can tell you for a fact that the AH formal pieces - solid 800 silver are by far the hottest personality items on the market, often increasing in price on a monthly basis. This is while items of other personalities, and even AH silver plated items languish. This does not make any sense to me, but I guess it's just part of the crowd psychology of collecting.
    That may be true Brian, but for me,having a silver plated AH tray really compliments an AH silverware collection IMO.

Comment

Dealers have told me that personality items are slow. One dealer agreed with me that the AH formal pattern 800 silver pieces are the one exception. Since I can't believe in a conspiracy, I have to believe that this is some odd quirk in the collectors mind set. It can't have anything to do with silver prices, since while the price of silver has been going down, the price of the formal AH pieces has been going up. Maybe this will change in the future - in the meantime I guess we'll just have to adjust to this odd market.

Comment

I don't think these pieces have increased THAT much in the last couple of years.

And I suspect the reason they tend to be more popular than serving trays etc (which I actually prefer) is the simple fact they're easier to display.

Comment

"Easier to display" just means that they're smaller. They are more common & less impressive than the AH plated pieces. I've been watching while they've been listed & selling - the knives, forks & spoons - at $795, $895, $995, $1200, and now commonly $1495. One 8" spoon just sold for $1895. I'm not "complaining" about the prices - just trying to understand the phenomena. I can't see any other area of TR where this is happening right now - leaving out super rare items like diamond awards, batons etc.

Comment

I see prices have levelled off in the last 3-4 years at the 1200-1400 range for regular pieces like knives, forks etc.
            I don't see them going much higher just yet simply because there are always so many around.

I think the trays etc are due a rise at some point. I find their 'low' prices the real phenomena in this area: there are fewer of them, they look better and you get more bang for your buck.

Comment

The highest prices on silverware seem to be on Wittmanns site.

1200.00 seems to be the average price on common items.

Comment

I agree, and they sit there for ages. Also Germania, but I don't feel comfortable with that guy.

Comment

If you believe the dealer's website's "SOLD" designations, they are selling at the $1495 level. It wasn't too long ago that you could get a 3 piece knife, fork and spoon set for $2100. I just find it strange and/or amusing that someone would pay $1895 for a spoon, and pass up a 11" tray for $1850.

Comment

Collecting AH silverware is a fun addiction for me. It all started with a spoon that I got as part of a trade and has now morfed into 6 pieces plus a serving tray and napkin. Think I will be adding more pieces in the future as money allows.

Comment

1983 Prices of AH Silverware

In the 1983 I was at a MAX show and came across some formal AH pieces of silverware along with some AH Tables covers and Napkins ..It was my first taste of the stuff and could not get enough as only a collector at the time ..
                      The going prices for AH Formal Pattern silver Spoons, Knives , Forks was around $150 to $200 each ..Then later in the 1980's they were $250.. Then they went from 350 to 400 in the 1990's ..Not until the early 2000- 2002 they started to hit $500 to 600.00 ranges then before we knew it 900 to 1000 each range ..2009 ..Today here we are ...As a dealer and collector today of the pieces I can say condition plays a big part in the retail value of these..High condition brings the highest and worn condition bring less ..I can honestly say that without much trouble a 1200 range for lesser worn condition pieces to 1400 to 1500 or so for high condition is a fair market value ,,I base it on how easy they are to sell ..I cant keep nice AH pieces on my website for long . Just posted some pieces today and I wonder how long they will last ... Brent

Comment

AH Silverware For Show and Tell

Here are a few pieces I just acquired yesterday ...
                        Attached Files

Comment

You just verified what I was trying to say - the AH formal pattern pieces are very hot right now - wish I had some to sell - and the plates you have are a bargain.
                          Last edited by BrianK; 06-29-2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

This must be a rapidly changing market, because Grenadier Military antiques has just posted a copper bottomed 11" AH warming plate for $12,995.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
                              This must be a rapidly changing market, because Grenadier Military antiques has just posted a copper bottomed 11" AH warming plate for $12,995.
                              Crazy!

Comment

Yeah...good luck selling it at that price.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 25 users online. 0 members and 25 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X