Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the comparison of formal vs informal pattern, is the lack of detail on the eagle of the informal pattern (feathers and such) actually part of the design or do these pieces exhibit more wear?
    Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
      Regarding the comparison of formal vs informal pattern, is the lack of detail on the eagle of the informal pattern (feathers and such) actually part of the design or do these pieces exhibit more wear?
      Richard V
      Richard,

The lack of detail on the informal pattern is the way it was designed.

Comment

Thanks Erich. I had always wondered about that and didn't think the silverware would have seen so much use as to wear down the design that dramatically when compared to the formal pattern.
        Richard V

Comment

The design of the Informal Pattern is, IMO, quite different from the Formal Pattern. Indeed, the monogram itself -- AH flanking an eagle with folded wings -- is perhaps one of the few points where the two designs intersect...even though the State Pattern is elaborated with feathers and wreath leaf details while the Informal is flat and smooth. The overall shape of the Informal Pattern is quite different from the Formal; while the handle of the Informal is smooth, tapered, rounded and airy, the Formal is squared, heavy and encased within a Greek Key boarder. When viewing a piece of the same implement in both designs side-by-side, one quickly notes all of the differences that illustrate that these patterns are two separate and unique designs. Overall, the Informal Pattern displays a light and modern feeling, while the State Pattern is heavy and classical. IMHO, of course!

Br. James

Comment

Here's some crystal to go with the outstanding shiny pieces shown already.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like mine - though I only have one piece.

Comment

Very nice crystal Robs and this is the only style that I feel is genuine or would have in my collection.

Comment

I like this design of crystal stemware, as well, Erich -- especially the elegant fluted stem in the form of a classic column. A very complimentary design to accompany the Formal (State) flatware. But I would also point out that Dr. Mark Griffith shows us a variety of other crystal stemware and glassware examples in his books on "Liberated AH Memorabilia" and these items are considered "genuine" and of the period, as well. The wide variety of silverware designs and monograms and the equally wide assortment of glassware that was apparently found at a number of Hitler's residences is truly amazing! We occasionally read contemporary accounts of the vast amount of gifts of all sorts that flooded into the Berghof and the Reichschancellery for his birthdays, holidays and many other occasions and were set out on display -- literally filling one or more rooms -- but I personally doubt that much of this "stuff" was every actually used by anyone at those residences -- it was probably sent down to storage and remained there until "Liberation."

Br. James

Comment

Shawn B (a member here) has conducted an investigation about the origin of some formalware, especially concerning crystalware. He will hopefully update the forum when his research is complete. He already has made some exciting findings.

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                      I like this design of crystal stemware, as well, Erich -- especially the elegant fluted stem in the form of a classic column. A very complimentary design to accompany the Formal (State) flatware. But I would also point out that Dr. Mark Griffith shows us a variety of other crystal stemware and glassware examples in his books on "Liberated AH Memorabilia" and these items are considered "genuine" and of the period, as well. The wide variety of silverware designs and monograms and the equally wide assortment of glassware that was apparently found at a number of Hitler's residences is truly amazing! We occasionally read contemporary accounts of the vast amount of gifts of all sorts that flooded into the Berghof and the Reichschancellery for his birthdays, holidays and many other occasions and were set out on display -- literally filling one or more rooms -- but I personally doubt that much of this "stuff" was every actually used by anyone at those residences -- it was probably sent down to storage and remained there until "Liberation."

Br. James

James,

I know that there was more than one style that are considered gunine but what I meant to write is that this is the style that I would be most comfortable having in my collection.

Comment

AH Casserole Dish With Lid Mfg. Wellner

Here is a nice original AH Casserole dish Marked Wellner 140 Cl. (42) ..Text book example roll stamped AH Eagle ..
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Quite a stunning piece, Brent!

Br. James

Comment

Yes an amazing piece Brent! You sure know where to find these AH treasures.

Comment

Another winner!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X