Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prize Desk Eagle

Hi Gents !
    I just got hold of this desk eagle direct from a lady in Munich last night, and the pics is taken by
    herself The wingspan is 27cm, and it's made of bronze or some other metall but
    It's metall anyway. The marble base is 16,5 x 6,6 x 5,5 cm.
    I asume this is not a political prize of some sort but probably a sportsprize or similar.
    The place Gr******246;benzell is located 16km west of Munich, I think this is a nice period piece
    No matter what the price is for but I Just wanted some feedback and thoughts on this piece from
    Our forum members !
    Thanks for looking, H******229;kan

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346582958.443363.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346582977.307679.jpg

PicsImageUploadedByTapatalk1346583739.637853.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346583750.779041.jpg

Comment

More picsImageUploadedByTapatalk1346583787.805872.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346583822.208103.jpg

Comment

tough one

Hard to say, beyond it being for a "2nd place winner" of something at the place and time! But certainly not for a "hot dog eating" contest!

Comment

Probably not Panzerguy, haaaaaa !!!
          Any one else seen this bird before ?
          /Håkan

Comment

The style is somewhat typical and many of these made from the 1920's on with various little differences. Many have Luftwaffe dedications and some have no dedication. I have one here thats a little different in bronze. Some of the early ones have bone beaks or taxidermy style eyes.

Nice birds.
            Attached Files

Comment

This is an interesting piece. Gröbenzell did not exist in 1939 as a town, city or county. It is not listed in the Bavarian Yearbook of 1940. It was for the most part, an area of peat cutters. No mountains for alpine sporting events. Not much development. Who or what put on a contest here in 1939?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
                This is an interesting piece. Gröbenzell did not exist in 1939 as a town, city or county. It is not listed in the Bavarian Yearbook of 1940. It was for the most part, an area of peat cutters. No mountains for alpine sporting events. Not much development. Who or what put on a contest here in 1939?
                Who knows, the way they handed out awards for things it could be for sheep humping. Plaque looks like its been on there forever and properly mounted so it looks o.k.

Kris

Comment

Thanks for the inputs here mates, much appriciated !!!!!!
                  IMO this is an period made or erlier bird, it looks like the plaque have been there for ever
                  And if not, why put a name on it that did not exist 1939 ?
                  Sound stupid to me but stranger things has happened :-)
                  I have no doubts that this piece is period right trough but that is only my opinion
                  And i dont know it all.
                  Once again thanks for the coments and thoughts so far regarding this bird !
                  Here is a little information from wikipedia regarding Gröbenzell:

The name Gröbenzell was first documented in 1725. It refers to a toll ("Zoll") station that was built next to the creek Gröbenbach to supervise the construction of a street between Lochhausen and Olching. Thus the customs barrier and the creek can still be seen in the coat of arms.[2] When the railway from Munich to Augsburg was built in 1840, peat cutters settled in the region. Gröbenzell predominantly remained a settlement for peat cutters until World War II. After the war Gröbenzell grew fast, since a lot of refugees moved to Munich and its suburbs. In 1952 the town Gröbenzell was officially founded by merging several districts of Munich, Puchheim, Olching and Geiselbullach to one community.

Thanks for looking, Håkan

Comment

BTW Kris, your bird is faboulus mate !!!
                    / Håkan

Comment

I think it is a great piece, well made. Geesh! I was just commenting on the enigma that is the award plaque. I read the Wiki article. I also read my Bayerische Jarhbuch 1940. Quite an elaborate presentation from a "settlement of peat cutters".

Comment

Originally posted by Hakan81 View Post
                        BTW Kris, your bird is faboulus mate !!!
                        / Håkan
                        Thank you, I like the birds a lot. Looks like a nice piece you got and guess its a white metal and have seen ones like it and fits the period of the dedication.

Best,

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
                          I think it is a great piece, well made. Geesh! I was just commenting on the enigma that is the award plaque. I read the Wiki article. I also read my Bayerische Jarhbuch 1940. Quite an elaborate presentation from a "settlement of peat cutters".
                          Joe,

I did not mean anything with my comment other than the sheer amount of awards given in various quality for everything under the sun. ;O)

Kris

Comment

We all agree it's a great bird mates, And regarding the plaque we can only speculate
                            as we were not there 73 years ago ;-)
                            Once again thanks for your inputs !
                            Håkan

Comment

Originally posted by Vid View Post
                              Who knows, the way they handed out awards for things it could be for sheep humping. Plaque looks like its been on there forever and properly mounted so it looks o.k.

Kris
                              Sheep humping

I agree a nice period Adler!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X