SA reiter ensemble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA reiter ensemble

Here's my Gruppe Niederrhein cavalry ensemble, purchased from a notable member of this forum.

It took me ages to find a tie. I thought it very strange considering there must have been millions manufactured back then.

Mike
    Attached Files

Mike,
    Very nice! That used to be in my collection--I believe the kepi may have been as well, but I still have photos of the shirt.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

Erich,

Indeed I bought both from you.

I didn't mention your name thinking that you'd immediately identify with the term "notable."

Hope all's well with you.

Mike
      Last edited by Mike Swan; 09-25-2011, 12:19 AM. Reason: Amend spelling

Comment

Always a nice set up in Braun, but is the underlay to the shoulderboard blue? It may just be the hue on my iPhone if not, Sean

Comment

Sean,

The underlay does look a bit bluish in the photo, but it's definitely black.

Thanks for your comment.

Mike

Comment

Excellent ensemble then well done, Sean

Comment

very nice display Mike! always look good full suited. the tie looks awfully wide though, is there any tags on the inside of the tie. not saying it's bad just looking for variations or maybe just the way it was ironed out.
              thanks
              jim
              Last edited by bahnschutz1; 09-25-2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Jim,

There's an RZM label sewn into the rear seam. Not much of it shows.

The width doesn't worry me. The photos I've seen often show a similar style. I did give it a gentle iron.

Thanks for your comment.

Mike

Comment

The width of the tie is fine, plenty of period photos show kipper type widths,Sean

Comment

Ensemble

I agree that the tie is just fine. Ties ARE scarce - with the amount of cool souvenirs virtually everywhere, a necktie with no basic insignia would have seemed pretty boring in may of 1945. Besides, virtually every collector today wants a tie for his shirt or tunic, so they're hard to find. The finer, silk versions are easier to find, it seems. I believe the silk versions were designed for tunic use, but I'm sure they wore both with brownshirts. The display is yummy !! Please don't think I'm a jackass, but out of curiosity, would an enlisted man with a low rank normally wear an SA gorget?

Comment

I'm not sure what rank would typically be a flag/standard bearer.

I just hung it there because it looks good.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan View Post
                        I'm not sure what rank would typically be a flag/standard bearer.

I just hung it there because it looks good.

Mike
                        Totally agree

Comment

Gorget

I agree as well - the gorget really turns tops off the uniform. Besides, if he didn't wear a gorget then, he does NOW !! Please don't take offense - just more of a technical question anyway. Now I want one!!

Comment

No offence taken. I value all comments and questions raised on this forum as I never cease learning.

Mike

Comment

Gorget

Thanks. Part of the fun is in the details - for example, not just assembling an SA uniform display, but making an effort to try to match early accoutrements with early uniforms for example, and to try to match items with the same relative amount of wear. I had an SA Leader's lanyard, and another member wanted to buy it. Since my outfit at the time wasn't actually that of a Lower leader, I sold it to him. PS: I'm still looking for that SA Franken-marked pocket watch for my uniform. I KNOW it's out there cause I always see lots of SS Division-marked ones. When it's actually ENGRAVED into metal, you KNOW it's real!!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X