X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitlers Stormtroopers book

Anybody read this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitlers-St...item1c1dbc04a3

I haven't read that one, but I did pick up a book about the SA purge by the same author that wasn't bad--he did a good amount of research of German and translated source material. It's been about 4 or 5 years since I read it, though.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

I've had this title in my library since it was published in 2008, though I admit that I have yet to find the time to read it -- as with a whole stack of other titles purchased both before and after it! Works on the SA specifically are still rare and that is what attracted me to this title in the first place. So I can offer no opinion on the book's contents at this time.

As Erich mentioned, this author (Otis C. Mitchell) has previously contributed two volumes on our period of interest: "Hitler Over Germany" (1983) and "Hitler's Nazi State: The Years of Dictatorial Rule 1934-45" (1987), neither of which do I own.

I have just begun reading the new "In the Garden of Beasts," a reflection on the first American Ambassador to Nazi Germany, William E. Dodd, and find it immensely compelling. Author Erik Larson's vivid descriptions of life in 1933 Berlin -- as well as politics in the Depression-Era USA at the beginning of FDR's first term -- add new insights to our understanding of that period, which had so many similarities to the USA of our own day. I commend this fine book to all!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
        I've had this title in my library since it was published in 2008, though I admit that I have yet to find the time to read it -- as with a whole stack of other titles purchased both before and after it! Works on the SA specifically are still rare and that is what attracted me to this title in the first place. So I can offer no opinion on the book's contents at this time.

As Erich mentioned, this author (Otis C. Mitchell) has previously contributed two volumes on our period of interest: "Hitler Over Germany" (1983) and "Hitler's Nazi State: The Years of Dictatorial Rule 1934-45" (1987), neither of which do I own.

I have just begun reading the new "In the Garden of Beasts," a reflection on the first American Ambassador to Nazi Germany, William E. Dodd, and find it immensely compelling. Author Erik Larson's vivid descriptions of life in 1933 Berlin -- as well as politics in the Depression-Era USA at the beginning of FDR's first term -- add new insights to our understanding of that period, which had so many similarities to the USA of our own day. I commend this fine book to all!

Br. James
        Garden of beasts sounds good, its the price of the SA book puts me off somewhat, Sean

Comment

Amazon has this book for sale for 55.00.

Comment

For that price I'd want to see the book before buying it. I looked through the copy of 'Blood Purge' and to tell you the truth, the Ballantine book 'Night of the Long Knives' by Leo Tolstoy was better written, had a more scholarly approach, and much more in the way of details of the events. It could well be that the Mitchell book won't add much if anything to what you already know.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Hi, not sure if you know of Bookdepository.co.uk. They have the book for 42.75 pounds and their postage is free world wide. No idea if the book is any good, but there's a saving of 10 pounds.

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X