SA General's Tabs - green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA General's Tabs - green

I would like to get some opinions on these tabs as well as any thoughts regarding what group is reflected by the badgecloth color. They’re certainly dark green and I’ve shot them with both a black and a white background for the purpose of this thread.
    Attached Files

Reverse of the tabs show some glue. Question for the pros - was glue every used to aid in the placement/sewing of tabs to uniforms?
    Attached Files

Comment

These tabs look okay to me from a construction standpoint but I would welcome any opinions or conclusions that might be forthcoming.

Thanx in advance for your time. Rick
      Attached Files

Comment

I think the oakleaves themselves are original leftover stock applied to fake tabs...I've seen a few of these before...

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
          I think the oakleaves themselves are original leftover stock applied to fake tabs...I've seen a few of these before...
          The oakleaves are probably 'reject' leftover stock as you can clearly see a half formed acorn on one set.

-wagner-

Comment

Never noticed that till you pointed it out! Also noticed there appears some detailed stippling on the stem of one where there's none on the other.

Interesting.

Rick

Comment

I don't see any manufacturing defects- those are simply empty acorn caps...

Comment

I'm guessing he means this mold defect - half formed acorn
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
                  I'm guessing he means this mold defect - half formed acorn
                  That's correct Rick. Also as you pointed out the very light stippling on the stem of the leaf, all point to a casting defect which would have naturally not been selected to even be placed on a tab but instead thrown into a 'Reject Bin'.

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    I don't see any manufacturing defects- those are simply empty acorn caps...
                    First picture, left hand side ...

Comment

SA tabs

A truckload of these oakleaves turned up in the early 70's, some loose and un-attached, some already attached to tabs. They were sold by the old Globe Militaria and another outfit whose name I don't recall, also out of NYC if I recall correctly.
                      I'm pretty sure the oakleaves are period and have seen a couple of pair sporting this style oakleaf that I thought were totally period. It's easy to spot this style of oakleaf in period photos.
                      But ... these tabs surfaced like a school of tuna. They were everywhere and if I also recall correctly the excess glue was a hallmark of these tabs. Most were mounted on black backing; I believe some were also on red. Maybe one of the old-timers can come up with more info. I know everyone remembers these.
                      that's my 2 cents.

tc

Comment

SA Tabs

The color seems a bit odd as well. It's often tough to differentiate between Steel Green and Emerald Green, as the dyes varied, but this color seems odd. True- MANY Generals tabs with metal oak leaves are put-togethers, with real leaves put on fake tabs. The glue could be from an album, but I HATE seeing any glue on tabs. I HAVE seen similar backing which is really stiff, on some original tabs. But just considering the acorn deformation, the glue, the odd color, you'd be better off with a much better example. My overall opinion - could be good, but not worth taking the risk.

Comment

Head's-UP !!

Also, be aware of original blank SA tabs (both ran AND unit , although blank rank tabs are very common, whereas blank u nit tabas are not) being converted into Genera;'s tabs with the mere addition of an original metal oak leaf. Of course, you'd still have to add piping. Of course, you could explain to an admirer that the tabs are exceedingly rare, because the guy went from buck private all the way to General in one promotion!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X