X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early SS/SA Cap Eagle

hi,

posted this on the ss forum but no replies so thought i'd ask here

can anyone give me an opinion on this eagle?

is it original?

and was it for ss or sa?

pins are missing and can just make out RZM M1/45

cheers, del.

Eagle

This style eagle was discussed before, and I didn't like it, but there were those that did. The striking is superb, which lends one to believe they may be real. On the other hand, it's an odd construction method for an early eagle. With millions and millions of "stamped-out" eagles and their dies navailable, why would you tool up to cast them in aluminum? Stranger things have happened, of course, and they may be totally real. The problem with collecting items that stray from normal conformity, is that they are often impossible to ever verify. Variations are certainly interesting, but most often are poor investments. I say this, because you'll forever be trying to convince yourself and others it's authentic, which is not very rewarding.

Comment

Sgstandard,

Indeed this style of crimping was discussed before and I do like it, reason being that such type of pins exist, such as on the Deschler TK.
      Whatever the reason, perhaps pre-production prototype before more economical methods we then used, we don't know.
      I'll try to post a follow up photo next.

Mil

Comment

M1/24 Overhoff & Cie variant that also made the TK Skulls.

Comment

Same M1/24 firm on visor cap insignia, showing crimp pins, but on a different eagle.

[IMG][/IMG]
          Last edited by Military; 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Another firm that also used crimped pins for their eagles.
            As shown, NSDAP Collar Tab eagle with embossed RZM logo and "M1/72," for Fritz Zimmermann, Stuttgart.

This shows wide-spread use of such crimping methods although the firms were and would be aware of more economical ways such as direct soldering and by one piece stamping.

Comment

Eagle

Your argument is convincing, but I'm not crazy about the RZM logo. You can't even see the "M" - and the "R" and "Z" don't look that great either. Not up to RZM standards it would seem. But that doesn't make the piece bad. I've already said they could be good as gold - but you just made my basic point - you'll be forever trying to convince everyone else.

Comment

Sgstandard,

In your earlier post, you pointed out your concerns about the "construction method" for such an early eagle. I have provided examples, sufficient as I can to point out that several firms did use such construction methods not simply for visor eagles, but also for collar tabs and TKs.

Just to clarly, that it I am not here to argue about the RZM logo or stamping, but about the construction of the crimped pins.

Mil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X