This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
    Just an observation but there have been four of the so called SS Wedding Caskets available for sometime now, quite a variation in price too at $3995, $3300, $3295 and $2965. A recent fad that has faded a little perhaps.
    Steve, can you more specifically explain what you are alluding to? Are you saying that these prices are less expensive than in the past and there may be some other reasons other than the state of the global economy, or something else entirely? Does anyone have some sort of COA from a dealer on their cask???

Comment

Toby, thanks for showing this postcard. I like the artwork and the spirit of the text.

Originally posted by TobyR View Post
      I was able to acquire a postcard that incorporated the inscription on the brooch.

The inscription, acc. to the postcard, is from the oath of the Nordmark HJ.

The oath reads (in English):

The Land on which we stand is Holy Land.
      Free, we receieved it, and free we wish to remain,
      and take as we need that which belongs to us.
      We will never buckle.
      Loyal, we shall stand together, until death, if God gives us the strength.
      United for eternity.
      And you want our strength and our honour
      Our last drop of blood stands between this.
      We shall never let ourselves be forced into slavery.
      Freedom is for us, higher than life.
      Loyal, we shall stand together, until death, if God gives us the strength.
      Rather death, than slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
        Steve, can you more specifically explain what you are alluding to? Are you saying that these prices are less expensive than in the past and there may be some other reasons other than the state of the global economy, or something else entirely? Does anyone have some sort of COA from a dealer on their cask???
        Nothing in particular, just from all the excitement one sees about these book boxes or whatever they may be, I guess I was a little surprised to see how easily obtainable they are and also with a huge variation of prices. I have no interest in them so no real idea on whether the market thinks they are expensive or not nowadays. Fading fad or the economy..who knows but plenty of choice if you want one .

Comment

Here's a really nice plate, well I like it at least.. a huge plate, it makse a wedding plate look small at 37cm in diameter!
          Attached Files

Comment

Plate

WOW, nice plate Steve T !!!

You seem to have a endless supply of wonderful items!

Comment

Stunning plate Steve.

Comment

Steve, incredible plate! It's a keeper for sure!

Comment

Steve, that's an interesting plate but, I have my doubts that it's Pre 45 vintage. Plates that have lots of runes look over done, and were made to possibly fool collectors. Most Pre 45 plates that I like, are much more simple in nature showing normal use. Either way, it's a nice show piece!

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                    Steve, that's an interesting plate but, I have my doubts that it's Pre 45 vintage. Plates that have lots of runes look over done, and were made to possibly fool collectors. Most Pre 45 plates that I like, are much more simple in nature showing normal use. Either way, it's a nice show piece!
                    I know what you mean about overdone plates and completely accept your point of view, these kind of items are not like some collectables you can prove original with out a doubt but I doubt this was one meant to fool anyone though.

I have two of these from the same wood carver, this Edda saying and also a blood and soil script. The family tells me they were Wandteller and hung on the wall in the family Bauernhof so they have had no actual use, just decorators. Thats the story and sounds quite reasonable in this case.

They came with the string that held them and looked age appropriate, ingrained dirt and dust, lacking 95% all finish, pretty much matt bare very dry wood as one would expect and quite typical of the condition look that some of these more rustic style plates have when left for 70 or more years. Further up in this thread you can see exactly what I mean where Eitienne shows one in front of his very nice family chest. I lightly cleaned and waxed this plate with natural wax to protect the wood and make it presentable.

By chance I met up with a wood carver/turner today at a farmers market/craft event and had a good chat with him about his work some techniques etc which was interesting... I couldn't even have one made for the the price of the two I purchased together.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                      I know what you mean about overdone plates and completely accept your point of view, these kind of items are not like some collectables you can prove original with out a doubt but I doubt this was one meant to fool anyone though.

I have two of these from the same wood carver, this Edda saying and also a blood and soil script. The family tells me they were Wandteller and hung on the wall in the family Bauernhof so they have had no actual use, just decorators. Thats the story and sounds quite reasonable in this case.

They came with the string that held them and looked age appropriate, ingrained dirt and dust, lacking 95% all finish, pretty much matt bare very dry wood as one would expect and quite typical of the condition look that some of these more rustic style plates have when left for 70 or more years. Further up in this thread you can see exactly what I mean where Eitienne shows one in front of his very nice family chest. I lightly cleaned and waxed this plate with natural wax to protect the wood and make it presentable.

By chance I met up with a wood carver/turner today at a farmers market/craft event and had a good chat with him about his work some techniques etc which was interesting... I couldn't even have one made for the the price of the two I purchased together.
                      Steven, yours looks almost too good to be true but you're right nothing is 100% with these plates. A good looker though! Best, Erich

Comment

A fine original plate for sure - perhaps the family will find Opa´s Dienstausweis as well.

One of the very few original plates I am aware of bearing runes.

Maybe they were more around in the period but due to the runes been thrown away or just burned over the years.

If not directly in 1945 then often enough by the coming 68er generation eliminating parts of history rather than preserving it.

Many thanks for sharing, Steve!

Comment

Here's the other plate. Shot with a Julleuchter to give an sense of the massive proportions of these two plates.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Steve T; 09-19-2010, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Some detail..
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice plates Steve Here is my latest addition to the collection.

Somewhat smaller size but with the same pattern.
                              Attached Files

Comment

eternal symbols

Here is a nice piece from the collection.It is a guide to a exhibition that was held in 1941 in Holland.The title is ''eeuwig levende tekens'' In english it would something like eternal/everlasting symbols/signs .The first photo shows the cover and the actual map for the exhibition.The second shows some of the inside information and on the left there is a nice example of a breadplate.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 27 users online. 0 members and 27 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X