Denazification and Party Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denazification and Party Awards

I've just gotten a copy of the 1947 "Denazification Law" handbook issued by the American Office of Military Government in Bavaria. This is a fascinating, if dry, compilation of American measures to deconstruct the Nazi state and punish large segments of the NSDAP.

I didn't realize this, but there were actually medals which guaranteed the automatic arrest of the holder.

Class I (Major Offender):
    Blood Order
    Golden Party Badge
    NSDAP Long Service Award First Class

All those with these awards could look forward to, among other things, a stretch in a labor camp of not less than two, nor more than 10 years.

Class II (Offender):
    Coburg Badge
    Golden HJ Badge
    NSDAP Long Service Awards, Second & Third Classes
    1929 Nuernberg Badge
    1931 Brunswick Badge
    All Gau Ehrenzeichen

There are sanctions against other awards as well - like the Austrian Anschluss medal, the Spanish Cross, the Danzig Cross, etc.

Interesting stuff....

These people could be held in labor camps for up to 5 years.

In my post above, the line "these people could be held in labor camps for up to 5 years" applies to the Class II offenders....

Comment

Originally posted by jeffhan373 View Post
      I've just gotten a copy of the 1947 "Denazification Law" handbook issued by the American Office of Military Government in Bavaria. This is a fascinating, if dry, compilation of American measures to deconstruct the Nazi state and punish large segments of the NSDAP.

I didn't realize this, but there were actually medals which guaranteed the automatic arrest of the holder.

Class I (Major Offender):
      Blood Order
      Golden Party Badge
      NSDAP Long Service Award First Class

All those with these awards could look forward to, among other things, a stretch in a labor camp of not less than two, nor more than 10 years.

Class II (Offender):
      Coburg Badge
      Golden HJ Badge
      NSDAP Long Service Awards, Second & Third Classes
      1929 Nuernberg Badge
      1931 Brunswick Badge
      All Gau Ehrenzeichen

There are sanctions against other awards as well - like the Austrian Anschluss medal, the Spanish Cross, the Danzig Cross, etc.

Interesting stuff....

These people could be held in labor camps for up to 5 years.
      Jeff, you have come across a treasure trove of documents regarding important NSDAP awards,and thanks for sharing the info. Best, Erich

Comment

I just realized that I have seven of the awards listed in my collection and I could have been sent up the river for life!

Comment

You have to wonder how many of the recipients got sent away because someone said "Hans has the Blood Order" or something like that. Or when the holder or one of his relatives tried to barter them to occupation troops. I'll bet those medals disappeared into trunks in the attic real fast once word got around....

On another note, anyone know how early fake Blood Orders were detected?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffhan373 View Post
            You have to wonder how many of the recipients got sent away because someone said "Hans has the Blood Order" or something like that. Or when the holder or one of his relatives tried to barter them to occupation troops. I'll bet those medals disappeared into trunks in the attic real fast once word got around....

On another note, anyone know how early fake Blood Orders were detected?
            Since proper book keeping is a German trait, and not all records got destroyed, the question as to who to intern might have been answered easily. I don't believe everybody got the standard sentence, some got off with positive feedback from the members of the communities they lived in.

Comment

interesting info on post war bavaria..thanks for sharing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X