X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austrian member of the SA ??

Fellow collectors ,

This is my first posting in this forum.
    May I ask for some information about this trooper.
    I bought this photo because I am a helmet guy and especially interrested in the M17 austrian helmet in it´s different variants.

Unfortunately I do not know anything about SA uniforms.
    Is there anything this trooper is wearing besides his austrian helmet that makes him an "austrian" member of the SA ?

Anyway here is the pic:
    Attached Files

On the reverse of this photo the following is written:

"Kamerad Bichlmair from the Wöllersdorf Lager a Salzburgian 1934"

Thank you very much.

Regards

Bernhard
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice photo!
      It looks like he has a script 'L' on his collar tab, which was primarily used by the Leibstandarte (based in München) but there is evidence that the script 'L' was also used by some SA Lehr units. But, other than the inscription on the reverse, there is no obvious indication that he was an Austrian.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

sa

i think he is a sa member the uniform is brown not black

Comment

Originally posted by abigor View Post
          i think he is a sa member the uniform is brown not black
          Hi!

Erich was pointing at the SA-Leibstandarte located in München.

This is a great picture! I think it could be fled Austrian who simply joined the German SA.

Comment

great shot !

Comment

I would like to thank all that have responded. ;-)
              After doing a little research I am now quite sure that this trooper
              was once a prisoner in the austrian anhaltelager Wöllersdorf.

Best regards

Bernhard

Comment

This helmet has the SA stabswache insignia{a black swastika on brown helmet} from the guard units {Wachstandarte},they wore that type helmet too and usually austrian helmets were used..See this thread
                ttp://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106018&highlight=stabswache

Comment

Thank you very much for this link.
                  Very interresting !

Regards

Bernhard

Comment

Anytime friend!
                    note: for future just realize add an h to front of link... it got cut off by me when i copied it.or use below link.
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=stabswache

Comment

To my knowledge these helmets were used by the SA Feldjaegerkorps as well.

Regards,
                      Klaas

Comment

Originally posted by Klaas B. View Post
                        To my knowledge these helmets were used by the SA Feldjaegerkorps as well.

Regards,
                        Klaas
                        I agree, but the swastika had to be on the other side if it's FJK.

The helmet showed in the picture of this thread could be used by the Stabswache although I never see any proove for that.

And than the Stabswache felt under the control (unterstellt) of a Gruppe or Obergruppe. So the Austrian must had another unit tab than.

It Could be he was a member of an Ehrensturm or was on duty as a guard or something else.

But in my opinion he was defenite not a member of the Stabswache.

Comment

No I dont think he is either but they wore the helmet like this with swas on left side See this for explanation the swastika was worn on the left side.
                          http://www.german-helmets.com/SA-Sta...%20Helmets.htm

Comment

I understand in the early years around that time the ss wore a brown uniform for a short period.

Comment

Originally posted by wewelsburg View Post
                              No I dont think he is either but they wore the helmet like this with swas on left side See this for explanation the swastika was worn on the left side.
                              http://www.german-helmets.com/SA-Sta...%20Helmets.htm

Yes, I was going to fast. I found the answer in my own files.

The swastika indeed has to be on the left side, and has to be black. The larger lines of the swastika has to be 3,5 cm each. The swastika has to be attached 1 cm under the airhole.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X