Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH Alarm Clock - Gustav Becker

Evening all.

A bit of a weird one, and don't really know where to post so I thought that this would be the most appropriate forum.

I picked up this alarm clock today. The photos really don't do it justice. As can be seen it celebrates AH for ten years bewtween 1923 and 1933 at Nurnberg.

I had a clock expert take a peek, he took the back off and said it was definitely a 1930s Gustav Becker movement (stamped) and of medium quality. He got quite excited about it.

My question is do others exist and what do you think???

Regards

Steve

PS Mods please feel free to move if necessary.
    Last edited by STEVIEBOY491; 09-09-2008, 01:46 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

BTW,
        it is fully working and keeps excellent time. Good old German efficiency....!

Comment

clock

I know nothing about these, but it is pretty cool

Comment

"Ve haff vays of making you tock!"

Comment

It would be better if the arms were Hitler's arms, pointing to the time; ala Mickey Mouse.

Bob Hritz
              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                It would be better if the arms were Hitler's arms, pointing to the time; ala Mickey Mouse.

Bob Hritz
                Close Bob..... It is his two tie halves that are the hands.....

Cool clock. Be nice to hear if it is period! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It is not a period face, on the clock. there is a small industry that buys old alarm clocks from markets and resale stores. They replace the face with these new lazer printed faces and re-sell the closck as collector items. Not only Third Reich, but many of the comic characters are used for faces, for the toy collectors, and I have seen many of the fake SS clock faces.

Take a $3.00 used clock and add a 10 cent copy face, and they make a healthy profit!

Bob Hritz
                  In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Kind of figured as much Bob. Thanks for the info.

Only thing I can't figure out is the AH signature on the main flywheel....

Were there any genuine tacky and gauche TR items?

Comment

Original or not, this is one unique alarm clock. Looks like it will keep time, and turn heads

Comment

Bob and Gents,

Many thanks for all of your input so far.

The face is indeed printed, but I don't think by a laser printer. I whipped the back off and inspected the face. It's cardboard with two bent pins holding it on that look to fragile to keep playing with. The hands on the clock are straight too. Where the hands including the second hand poke through the face shows slight browning.

I am still not convinced either way. If it were a regular fake then more of these faces would pop up. I cannot find one. The only similar one is here:

http://www.germaniainternational.com/hitler21.html

Regards

Steve

Comment

The III Reich was full of tacky items, especially the early days. I remember piles of them in Vienna antique stores - stuff like "Heil Hitler" pillow covers and "Deutschland Erwache" lampshades, not to mention carved back chairs and other household items. The early leaders complained about the massive cottage industry of pro-Hitler Kitsch.

No doubt they are making it again, but a clock like this was certainly possible during the period.

Comment

Originally posted by STEVIEBOY491 View Post
                            Bob and Gents,

Many thanks for all of your input so far.

The face is indeed printed, but I don't think by a laser printer. I whipped the back off and inspected the face. It's cardboard with two bent pins holding it on that look to fragile to keep playing with. The hands on the clock are straight too. Where the hands including the second hand poke through the face shows slight browning.

I am still not convinced either way. If it were a regular fake then more of these faces would pop up. I cannot find one. The only similar one is here:

http://www.germaniainternational.com/hitler21.html

Regards

Steve
                            just because there is only one example of something does not mean it's not fake. There are tons of unique things that are fake in third reich collecting. Again, let me show you this Thiel Alarm Clock. (again, a clock). This is a commercial model but some Eastern European decide to put a fake nazi eagle on the back of it so He can charge 120 bucks for a 5 dollar flea market clock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Historic...2em118Q2el1247

for the love of Sweet Jesus, how much fake crap would be off the market if Eastern Europe was removed from the map?
                            There are also tons of other pieces of unique metal that has fake eagles, waffenampts, whatever on it.

Comment

Everyone knows that on genuine III Reich clocks Hitler's moustache moves back and forth to mark the seconds.

This is not to be confused with the "Sweet Jesus" pieces of the True Cross found in every European cathedral, which just goes to show you that the market for fakes to sell to gullible collectors has been going on since well before the Crusades.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X