X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 questions : HJ boards + HJ bahnnumbers

Hi,

I was wondering if these boards could make a chance? :

And how did the HJ now with number belongs to with place or gebiet?
    How did they now that in war time?

Hope you've got a answer for me.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Kurt,

The shoulderboards are authentic 1933 pattern based on that picture. They are for a Kameradschaftsführer from Oberbann 1, Unterbann 5, Bann 186 (Frankfurt am Main-West) in Gebiet 13 Hessen-Nassau. The Bann name did change in later years but this is the correct name for the Bann for the time in which these shoulderboards were in use.

The Bann numbers were assigned as the HJ (and the Reich) grew in size. The HJ-Gebiete eventually included Austria, Saarland, Sudetenland, Schlesien, Holland and Poland.

The Bann numbers in the early period of the HJ seem to have been assigned as and when a Bann was raised regardless of where in the Reich the Bann was located. Certainly for 1942 it would seem to be the case though that blocks of vacant Bann numbers were held back for individual HJ-Gebiete to be used as and when Banne were raised. The table I have compiled for 1942 is complete and correct but shows many unassigned numbers between Bann 794 and 949. Some HJ-Gebiete seem to have used their numbers fully where others did not as it is clear that the unused Bann numbers are sitting within a block which has been set aside for use by a particular HJ-Gebiet.

Bann numbers were added steadily up to 1942 and these are the figures I have researched thus far:

Year Total of Banne

1934 285
    1935 331
    1936 371
    1937 457
    1939 643
    1940 775
    1942 894

After 1942 it is unlikely that the HJ raised many new Banne but I'm still researching this period so can't give an answer yet. For many years the number of DJ-Jungbanne, and to a lesser extent the BdM/JM-Untergaue, far outnumbered the number of HJ-Banne so the above table is misleading at first glance as I'm showing only the HJ-Banne here.

I could go into into incredibly boring detail about this as it is something I've been researching for some time so feel free to PM me if you need to know anything more.

A very belated edit to add the figures for 1934 and 1939
    Last edited by Schmusi; 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Schmusi-
      An Excellent, Informative Response. If You Eventually Publish Your Reasearch Wit H A Cross Reference On The H J Unit Numbers, Please Inform Us. I Will Definitely Want A Copy For My Reference Library. Presently, The Only Information I Have Is The List Written By S H A E F Intellegence At The End Of The War.

Comment

Thank you very much for your wonderfull information.

Any opinions on the schouderboards?

Thank you very much.

CHeers,

Michael

Comment

Thanks Bob, lots still to do but I''m getting there

No probs Michael, glad to help.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X