This is kinda sad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is kinda sad.

This NSDAP party armband is in great condition. Soiled from time and a little dirty. I am probably going to sell it. Now, if I washed it gently, and removed the dirt and made her look nice and pretty, I could probably get more for it than I could if I left it as is.

It seems that the "been there" look is only attractive to folks on certain items. By washing it part of the history would be removed. This is from a vet and non-messed with. To wash it for profit, would be messing with it...obviously.

Thats what's sad. Sorry to ramble.
    Attached Files

I have no party armbands in my collection, but if I should ever buy on, I would prefer it worn and dirty...

Jens

Comment

If you wash it it will black light then no one will want it

Comment

Fortunatley, you have two ways of describing it . Either 1. " Has that been there look, a real salty veteran" or if you wash it 2. " Minty, untouched, best I've seen, impossible to upgrade."

Comment

Hi Steve.. to ways of describing it.
          1." Has that been there look, a real salty veteran".
          if you wash it 2. " Minty, TOUCHED, impossible to upgrade."

But that is just my opinion...

Jens

Comment

Hi Steve,
            There are generally two schools of thought (but sometimes mixed) one are the guys who like really nice clean never been issued cloth items, two are the guys who like them salty which gives them the "I've been there in the thick of it look" which I prefer myself.
            Don't mess with it you will find the person who will buy it, besides you risk the chance of damaging it or destroying it. Salty is good!
            Regards,
            Bill Gaynor

Comment

Thanks guys. I have no intention of washing it.

Point regarding black light: gently hand washing will lift some dirt only. Would not affect the black light test as no detergent would be added.

My point is that it certainly appears, as a general rule of thumb, its easier to move a "minty" peice as opposed to the been there peice. I just suspect there are more collectos who like 'em clean. I'm an edged weapons guy. Different schools of thought here as well. Specifically it seems as if it pertains to individual pieces. Army sabers, for example, the more gold gilting, the less patina, the better. Luft and army daggers; folks seem to like the greying which we see on the fittings from age.

Im tyring to unload the last of my non-edged weapons stuff, and this armabd will have to go soon. I naturally want as much as I can get for it, but would hate to mess with it in any way....like washing it.

Comment

Leave as found for sure. You will find a buyer and he will be content.

Comment

Just in general..

Many people like the dirty history look...well I've seen many nice items turn into dirty ones just caused by the dirty hands of many collectors.....,so,most dirt might be postwar,not historical...
                  Many shows and pictures show collectors handling stuff with greasy hamburger and potatoe chips fingers adding some "history" to the items.
                  60 years of handling has nothing to do with history IMO,unless it was stored short after the war and today sees the first light again.
                  most "real" (combat)dirt is a illussion..,but many collectors like illussions.
                  Stuff coming from barns have no history on them,but were treated bad,their dirt and spots were probably caused by the farmer over the years etc,etc..,but we like it "as found"...
                  Probably a lot of little children have played with many items many years ago and caused scratches etc,but we see it as "combat damage"...
                  So,not all dirt and damage is historical.

Jos.
                  Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 10-13-2006, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Agree with Jos. Plus this armband was not a "combat" item. Look at period pictures of political uniforms in wear. These guys were not generally rolling around in the dirt. It is a nice item as is -- but the soiling probably didn't happen while it was in German pre-1945 possession.

Comment

Good points.

Comment

Windsor Castle is a bit on the dirty side, but you'd never put that in the washing machine (if there was one big enough!)
                        To be fair, I was lambasted for asking on the forum if I should re-paint a rusty EK.
                        I think the consensus is, leave well alone - and let the history do the talking.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X