1st class Social Welfare neck order question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st class Social Welfare neck order question

I have acquired a Godet cased Social Welfare neck order which appears original in every aspect. It has great enamel and is in near mint condition. The only two areas of concern I have regard the wreath around the swas and the oak leaves on the jump ring. The wreath appears to show some overzealous polishing as the leaf detail on the left side looks somewhat ground down. I'll try to get a picture of that area soon.

The real concern are the oak leaves on the jump ring. There is an incredible amount of flashing still left that apparently was never removed during the final finishing. I would think a medal of this caliber would have had great care to detail and finishing and not leave so much flash still clinging to the oak leaves. I'm just beginning to use my macro setting on my camera so I hope this picture shows what I mean. I've put a black background under the leaves to help with showing up the detail. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Richard V
    Attached Files

Here is a shot of what I believe to be a Deumer example. Note the cleaner finishing around the edges of the leaves.
    Attached Files

Comment

another try at the Godet leaves, hopefully with less reflection from the flash.
      Attached Files

Comment

An under rated neck order ss guys got some of these awarded to them. friedrich kruger for one ..got one. I knew the guy who bought his from the vets son. they always scream quality. Nice when they have the case.

Comment

Social Welfare Cross

Richard,

I would be interested to see the wreath area which gives you some concern. I think that Godet did indeed have a problem with some of the wreaths.

Stan

Comment

Stan, I'll try to get a picture of it tonight. Unfortunately my scanner died and I have a 10 year old digital camera with which I'm trying to make photos, so I'm a bit handicapped on good images.

Comment

Hi Richard!
              Here is mine to compare to yours.
              Best Wishes,
              Bob
              Attached Files
              www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the shot Bob. Yours has a nice clean finish to the leaves and doesn't have any of the metal flash that is abundant on the one I pictured. I am just wondering if it is in any way common for one of these awards to be finished so badly on the jump ring leaves? Here is a photo of the entire badge.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is an attempt at capturing the wreath. Again my camera is so old it really doesn't provide the detail necessary and the flash tends to wash out lots of the detail. This wasn't the ideal time for my scanner to quit.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Richard!
                    WHat is the thickest part of your medal? Also, what color is the push pin on your box and is it marked?
                    Talk soon,
                    Bob

sigpic

Comment

Bob, the box is marked with a Godet logo stamped into the bottom of the box. The push pin is red. I'll have to get some measurements of the medal when I get home tonight.
                      Richard V

Comment

Hi Richard!
                        I am really sure it is fine, to tell the thickest part should be visible tot he naked eye when viewed from the side.
                        Talk soon,
                        Bob

sigpic

Comment

Bob, the thickest part appears to be the center of the badge. The arms get thinner to the ends of the arms. The push button on the box is shaped like a mushroom and is red. I don't doubt its authenticity, my only concern was the amount of metal flash that was left behind after the final finishing of the jump ring. I would have thought that with a medal of this degree, the finishing would have been first class but the leaves have a tremendous amount of metal still in the "valleys", if you will, between the high points.
                          Richard V

Comment

Hi Richard!
                            Well, you have a beautiful medal but with the pics I can’t see the flash. Whatever the case, the medal is original and awesome! I think it takes an advanced collector to appreciate the rarity and beauty of this award. I am sure there was a good amount of hand finishing in the construction of this medal. In that case there very well could be some excess metal present, still, who cares, I love itJ!
                            Best Wishes,
                            Bob

sigpic

Comment

Hi Bob, thanks for all your help. Without a better camera or scanner, I won't be able to get better pics of the extra metal that the oak leaves in the jump ring have. If you look at the left leaf, on its left side, between the high point of the lower lobe and the high point of the upper lobe, you might be able to see some of what I am talking about but it is not very clear. Thanks for all the help.
                              Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X