Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with KM U-boat Crew Names

Hello folks,

I was hoping somebody here who's good with names can give me some assistance on the attached picture because it's driving me absolutely nuts.

The front is easy enough to figure out - 5 sailors, all with U-boat service as indicated by the badges and distinctive blouse. What I can't figure out is why I can't find anything even remotely close to a single name on the internet's U-boat Crew List search tool: http://historisches-marinearchiv.de/....php?lang_cl=2

The back appears to say Kamerades from U-530 and lists the 5 crewmen. I tried deciphering all but one of the names and can come up with nothing. The first name looks like Georg Rolakowski, but again no such sailor listed.

Can anybody help

Thanks and I look forward to any help you can offer.

vr

Bob
    Attached Files

names

Harry Kolakowski, Franz Behrens, --- Rothenbucher, --ther Jordan, Herbert Putznick are what I read. The final name is perhaps not Pu-- but rather another vowel.

Comment

The final name I also read "Herbert Putznick"

The first name of Jordan could be "Diether"

Gerdan

Comment

Thank you guys - that helps a lot.

Yes Pauke - you are correct, that first name is Kowlakowski as opposed to Rowlakowski. I missed the upstroke on the "K".

Maybe this will turn something up.

Regards!

Bob

Comment

U 530

Interesting!!

U-530 survived the war and was interned in Argentina 1945 at wars end.
          Harmel

Comment

Here are four confirmed names and their ages at time of surrender in Argentina:

1. Herbert Pütsnich Age 22

2. Artur Jordan Age 21

3. Harry Kolakowaski Age 21

4. Franz Rolhenbücher Age 22

I do not think #5 is Franz Behrens. Must be some other name. Any other ideas?

John

Comment

John,

You are the man!!:

Many thanks for solving this. I now realize why the crew list on the Marine Archiv wasn't making sense when I saw 45ish names. All but a few served on the U-530 at some time and then transferred. I didn't look at the info that closely. I was just focused on the names.

Thanks again!! Thank you also to those who threw their thoughts in the ring!

vr

Bob

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
              Here are four confirmed names and their ages at time of surrender in Argentina:

1. Herbert Pütsnich Age 22

2. Artur Jordan Age 21

3. Harry Kolakowaski Age 21

4. Franz Rolhenbücher Age 22

I do not think #5 is Franz Behrens. Must be some other name. Any other ideas?

John

Comment

OK, checking with some others, it looks like it is Franz Behrens. He was not aboard at surrender in Argentina so he transferred prior to that. Plenty of Behrens, he must have been in another U-boat after the photo was taken IMO.

John

Comment

Mystery solved, go to this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=877529

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X