• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Dönitz signature !

https://www.huesken.com/shop/de/krie...itz-64289.html

Please explain. What do you mean?
    Max.

Comment

It certainly looks different than any original Dönitz signature I've seen.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

He told me on my visit to his home in 1977 that much of the time he spent in Spandau he suffered from several bouts of various health problems. Could explain the strange sig? Tom

Comment

Ralf has got this one wrong. There is nothing funny about this signature. I have seen several original handwritten letters from Dönitz during his period in Spandau. They all had the same signature with the unusual "D". There's a more than excellent chance this particular signature is authentic.
          Max.

Comment

Maybe I should explain why Ralf (frankandfrank) has got this wrong? Whilst prisoners in Spandau, the Nazi hierarchy's letters were heavily censored. Consequently, those who used Sütterlin script or whose handwriting was difficult to read were ordered to simplify their handwriting and in some cases use capital letters only. This was to assist the censors. Hence, some prisoners used more simplified lettering and Dönitz was one. He became used to writing in this way in Spandau. That is why this particular signature has a more standard "D" than is usually seen.
            Max.

Comment

That makes perfect sense--I was aware of the ban on Sütterlin but didn't connect that with his signature.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
              X