BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rommel signed post card....Real signature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rommel signed post card....Real signature?

Gents,
    Saw this Rommel post card come up for sale on Evilbay and had notions of bidding on it....Besides the condition being rather rough, I wasn't completely comfortable with the signature....I know Rommel was reknowned for using a pencil when signing documents in North Africa....This one stated post card was signed in black ink....If that being the case, it appears (IMO) that the signature might've been done in felt pen...Something that wasn't around during the Third Reich ....Also noticed two bidders retracted their bids....Any comments???....Bodes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...504031125&rd=1

Last edited by bodes; 01-19-2005, 10:00 AM.

Comment

50 minutes before you complain about not getting an opinion?
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard
        50 minutes before you complain about not getting an opinion?
        Simon, Point well taken .....I guess even in our highly modernized, internet based community, I need to be a little more patient.....Bodes

Comment

Rommel

I have a copy of Rommel's signature here and I had a look at the one for sale they do look identical. I can say that the one I have is written in pencil but who knows it is possible to have it in black ink. As for being wriiten in felt NO definately not. Have you asked the guy selling it if it is ink? The picture is definately period, all the same if you are uncomfortable leave it alone one will show up later but remember if it seems to good to be true it usually is

Rev

Originally posted by bodes
          Simon, Point well taken .....I guess even in our highly modernized, internet based community, I need to be a little more patient.....Bodes
          Last edited by rev; 01-19-2005, 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by rev
            I have a copy of Rommel's signature here and I had a look at the one for sale they do look identical. I can say that the one I have is written in pencil but who knows it is possible to have it in black ink. As for being wriiten in felt NO definately not. Have you asked the guy selling it if it is ink? The picture is definately period, all the same if you are uncomfortable leave it alone one will show up later but remember if it seems to good to be true it usually is

Rev
            It looked good to me from the pics. The damage looks typical of a piece stuck in a HY scrap book,hence the blue paper stuck on the reverse and the bend when it was removed probably. Went for $250.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish
              It looked good to me from the pics. The damage looks typical of a piece stuck in a HY scrap book,hence the blue paper stuck on the reverse and the bend when it was removed probably. Went for $250.

Thanks for the replies guys....I too thought it looked like maybe it could be good...Then 2 guys pulled their bids....Made me a little leary that perhaps they saw something amiss that I hadn't ....And Rev, btw he did mention it was signed in black ink in the description....Bodes

Comment

Wartime Signatures.

Bodes, guaging the authenticity of a wartime signed Hoffmann card through 2 photographs is far from ideal. There is no substitute for handling the item yourself. The points I always look for on wartime signed cards such as this are the ink flow: can you see the areas of ink 'overlapped' during the construction of the signature ? The pressure placed on the card by the pen through the person writing it: I have a signed Hoffmann card of Heinrich Ehrler and the pressure by the ink pen actually scratched the surface of the card ! These 2 checks are useful to see if an item has been signed with an 'autopen'. Finally, the rarity of the item against availability is also a good clue. For example if several wartime signed photographs turned up overnight of say........Jochen Peiper then suspicions have to be raised, however in the case of Rommel, a highly decorated soldier and a man of high public profile, his signature is relatively easy to come by. I appreciate that the item for sale on e-bay did not give you the chance to examine the card for the points I raised above but I hope in some way to of given you a quick indication as to some simple checks on wartime signatures.

Regards Richard.
                Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X