What kind of pictures are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of pictures are these?

These labels are on the backs of some pics I can acquire. Can anyone tell me anything about them?
    Attached Files
    HC

Attached Files
    HC

Comment

As stated on reverse "PRESS" prints.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, but can you elaborate. Some of these pictures are from very early 3rd Reich days. Were they possibly taken by someone in the 3rd Reich, then captured and used by the US press? Are these as value as photos without the "press" markings on the back, or does that somehow hurt their value?
        HC

Comment

Hi,

those are press photos sent by official 3rd Reich and foreign press agencies before the war to most of the news agencies over the world (like did most of the "free" - and less free - countries).

You can find such pictures on EBay and elsewhere, every press picture need to get those kind of stamps/captions/codes at the back. Those pictures were bought by newspapers in the world to illustrate their own articles. Depending on the news agency and country, the print quality can be good or less good.

Most pictures are real, but i'm pretty sure that fakes can be proposed too.

See You

Vince

Comment

The description on photo # 2 gives the origin of the pic "Scherl Bilderdienst, Berlin" which was a

press agency for pictures in Berlin. You can google the name and you will find a lot of other hints

http://www.artnet.com/artists/scherl...uction-results

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Scherl

Gerdan

Comment

Personally I don't care about press markings but description slip certainly helps to understand the photographs correctly so it's something desirable. Please don't remove it

Comment

You are welcome HC. I believe that Gerdan and Vince have covered it nicely. These markings / attachments belong on the prints, as Akira has also mentioned. Certainly a fine addition to a photo collection when found in original form...depending patently, on what the print actually shows.

Rgds,

Carl

Comment

Thank you to everyone. I have a large collection of these coming in that I will be moving on via the estand etc. as I do not collect photos.
                  HC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X