Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer uniform (no eagle) and ss helmet at a lager

Hi.

I have this picture of a soldier in a heer uniform without a brest eagle wearing a ss helmet. I'm not sure which lager he is at, but maybe some of you knows?
    Any info about this pic would be of great help.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    André
    Attached Files

Polizei division.

Date of death would fit.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
      Polizei division.

Date of death would fit.
      Yes you are correct for sure. Tom

Comment

Thank you for your help, but why does the date of death fit that this is Polizei division? Did anything special happen that day?

Best regards,
        André

Comment

According to the division's history, the unit saw very heavy fighting on June 9, which continued into the next morning. This was during the capture of the town of Voncq. Then it didn't see heavy fighting again until June 14.

The Polizei Division was in reserve during the advance to the Channel coast that started on May 10. It was only put into action at the end of May, with the renewed assault into France, and spent the next couple of weeks advancing through the Argonne Forest against sometimes stiff resistance. This is why the time of this soldier's death makes sense. It's certainly possible he was killed in combat on June 11, 1940, but I think it more likely he was wounded a day or two earlier, and then passed away on the 11th.

Note also that the caption mentions "Camp Wandern." This is where the Polizei Division was organized in the autumn of 1939.
          Last edited by MarcRikmenspoel; 02-19-2015, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information.

Best regards,
            André

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X