No announcement yet.

Another great album destroyed to make money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My apologies for offending you and anyone else. I would ask the moderator to remove my post. I was simply trying to shed a bit of humor on the subject!

I think we are all mature enough to see the humor in the image.... you know.... we bear everything for our collections!

Splitting up groupings has always been a source of hot contention amongst the die-hard collectors. It is truly a shame to spread so many items around, to be covered up and never to be reunited. For me it is not about the money, although I understand many earn a living in the trade of buying and selling militaria, and if it were not for those who do, it would be difficult for the rest of us to collect. What they do is an honorable venture.

But just as in every other venture, there are certain basic standards to adhere to, there are also higher standards that set some apart from others. I strive to reach that higher standard, knowing that I will not always achieve it. Regardless of the opinions of others, I think it diminishes us, when we do not adhere to those standards solely on the basis of profit.

Again..please accept my apology for the offensive post, I should not have cast dispersions onto someone who I do not know. My mother would not be proud of that. Therein lies my fault here, not in my vies on splitting up collections. I do not wish to be the source of discontent on the WAF.

Oz

Comment

Just as a side note, I share much of my collection with the world via my blog (see below) No it is not all there, as I have much to do and two sons to raise, but when i have the time, I post items and research from my collection. I have also devoted 15 years of work to publish Blood on the Talon, to further share what I have learned about the unit that fascinates me. If all of the documents, photos and material I have collected were spread throughout the world, I would not be able to do such a work.

I am working on Volume II which will address the uniforms, equipment and insignia of the unit. I do so not to make money (it is a loosing proposition to publish and print 250 books by yourself). I do so to share what I have been fortunate to acquire.

Again I state, much of what is in my collection came from those who buy and sell to make a living (an honorable one) and without them I would not have been able to do so. When a grouping is reunited, it does help to tell the story. Reuniting items is extremely difficult. If more would share their collections via the internet, the research would be easier. If those who are focused on a particular aspect of history or collecting could purchase items together EVERYONE benefits.

Comment

Another point was made about freedom. Freedom does not necessarily mean freedom to do ANYTHING, but freedom to do the right thing. We are not really free until we decide NOT to do something because we feel compelled from some inner sense of direction. That is where man is truly free.

I suspect the definition of "the right thing" is where the butt of the conversation will be directed.

Certainly I did not do the right thing by being condescending to the seller!
        Last edited by 17thairborne; 02-10-2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

We must focuse that the main problem is not the seller due he can does what he wants with his proper stuff but of the collector who pays lot of money for a single picture..........but, also in this case, each one of us can do what he wants with his pocket!!!!!!!!

Comment

I will repeat my point and ask of those who defend the splitting of albums.

Why can't dealers photograph the entire album prior to splitting it up? The information is thus preserved, it costs them nothing, they have to photograph everything anyway.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
              I will repeat my point and ask of those who defend the splitting of albums.

Why can't dealers photograph the entire album prior to splitting it up? The information is thus preserved, it costs them nothing, they have to photograph everything anyway.
              Hi Simon,

Maybe they do? But probably not. Why would they when they have no interest in the album/subject. It would not cost them much time, but would not bring them anything either.

Ps. I'm not defending the splitting of albums. Splitting of albums is just reality and I have benefited from it by buying single photos that used to be part of an album.

Regards, Thomas

Comment

Now the subject is albums/photo groupings, but we could have the same discussion with the subject "complete groupings" or "medal groups" or "document groups".

I know it is probably easier to split an album and make a quick profit than to split a document group, but it is still splitting up of groups.
                We either can't afford the complete group, are only interested in part of it or are never offered the complete group. When time goes by complete groups are getting harder to obtain and therefor we have to settle with what we can get. This also counts for albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Tora_Tora_Tora! View Post
                  We must focuse that the main problem is not the seller due he can does what he wants with his proper stuff but of the collector who pays lot of money for a single picture..........but, also in this case, each one of us can do what he wants with his pocket!!!!!!!!
                  And everone must have the right to think, that that is very stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
                    And everone must have the right to think, that that is very stupid!
                    Ditto......

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X