Early Nazi photo id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Nazi photo id

Please cwould somebody help me with the identification of the people in this interesting photo, and, if possible, a translation of the dedication on the reverse?
    Many thanks,
    Kerry.
    Attached Files

The individual with the Hussar traditions TK is Kronprinz Wilhelm von Preuße. This was the day of a parade for Stahlhem Bund of Frontsoldiers.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maal0vHplxw

Dearest Frau Oberst,

With this picture of our German Crown Prince I received from one of my Comrades on the Stahlhem-Führertag in Hanover, where I also participated, on behalf of my wife and myself we wish to convey to you heartiest congratulations for the new year.
    Frontheil and Heil Hitler!

sincerely yours

Comment

Here is the Crown Prince Wilhelm with Hitler admiring his Busby.
      Attached Files

Comment

Lloyd I,
        Thank you for the replies.
        Does anyone recognise any of the other characters please? Or perhaps the signature, if he is an early Party member, maybe his name is known?
        Many thanks,
        Kerry

Comment

I found this picture from the same event but it to be sold and very poor. Some names are given on the right side of the pic but it's difficult to identify a persson.

http://timelineimages.sueddeutsche.d...1933-34_201476

Gerdan

Comment

Of note, the crown prince was later to be seen in SA uniform quite regularly.

Comment

Hi Chrischa,

Are you sure the Crown Prince wasn't wearing an NSKK uniform? I believe I've seen him in an NSKK uniform but can't recall an SA uniform.

Crown Prince Wilhelm claimed that he was never a member of the Nazi Party and, knowing that membership in one or more of the various uniformed NSDAP organizations was possible without also joining the Party itself, I've always thought that that was how he managed to say that without also crossing his fingers!

Br. James

Comment

The Crown Prince returned to Germany from exile under the oath to the Nazi party that he would not get involved in politics or run for any type of office. He was essentially heavily involved in the Stahlhelm Bund for veterans but remained low key except outside of the usual society circles. He was regarded as a playboy, flashy in many respects but his mark lay in WW1 which he seemed perfectly fine with. At events he is more often seen in his WW1 uniforms as he was a Hussar along with another highly popular WW1 figure, August von Mackensen.

I believe this is the picture mentioned.

Von Preußen featured heavily in my Uhr-Opa's (great-grandfathers) WW1 books growing up in Bayern.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Lloyd I.; 10-12-2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Hi Lloyd,

Many thanks for your addition to this thread! I believe all six of the last kaiser's sons belonged to the Stahlhelm Bund at one time or another following WWI. The photo you provided is new to me, though it is in line with the one I'm thinking of -- a full-length photo of Prince Wilhelm in his NSKK tunic, kepi and uniform, conferring with other NSKK officers. Wish I could remember where I saw that photo! Do I assume correctly that the photo below is of the Crown Prince in an NSKK Traditions uniform? I am not familiar with the "MB" collar tab and, since we can't see his left arm, the NSKK diamond which should be there is not visible.

A great photo, nonetheless!

Br. James

Comment

One further thought: Prince Wilhelm appears to be wearing a pin of some sort on his necktie, and this is usually where the NSDAP Membership Pin would be worn on the uniform. If that is an NSDAP Membership Pin, then that would put the lie to his claiming that he never belonged to the Nazi Party!

Br. James

Comment

Very glad to help.

Motorgruppe Berlin - MB for the collar tab I believe.

I did note the tie pin as well and have taken the liberty of enlarging the photo and using the burn tool to bring out the details. Unless there was honary NSDAP membership, his biography only shows enlistment in the Stahlhelm-Bund and NSKK, then there it is. The Hakenkreuz does not appeared centered however, could also be angle and there is an NSKK tie pin.

Von Preußen publicly supported Hitler in the hopes of the restoration of the Monarchy. Hitler essentially used the Hohernzollern as he did many during this period to rise to power.

After Hitler publicly rejected the Monarchy Von Preußen essentially withdrew from public eye and went on trips.

In 1939 at the outbreak of the war he offered himself for military service as an officer but he was rejected by the Supreme Command under General Walther von Brauchitsch .
                      Attached Files

Comment

I remain cautious though as there are edicts and rules imposed during this period when the national symbol of the party became a requirement and as Preußen's ultimate goal was to restore Germany's Monarchy he simply lay down with the devil as an ends to a means. Of all the people at this event caught up in fervor his salute is telling.
                        Attached Files

Comment

In the the pic Lloyd posted, RW Gen on extreme right was Kmdr if RW WK VI and 6 ID Wolfgang Fleck. You cabn make him out in the pic from the link Gerdan showed as well.

Cheers
                          Elwyn

Comment

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the enlargement, and we now see that that tie badge could well be an NSDAP Membership Pin! The early versions of that pin were slightly convex in shape and produced in cloisonne, a glass enameling process which, combined with the shape of the badge could produce distortion and glare at that angle. You may well have caught that wily fox for posterity!

As far as I know, the only direct members of the Royal Family to become involved with the NSDAP and Hitler were the Crown Prince and, of course, his younger brother Auwi. I believe that both Wilhelm and Auwi were socially and politically maneuverable to the extent that any group which seemed promising in terms of the reinstatement of the monarchy was worth supporting and participating in. When both Wilhelm and Auwi moved from the Stahlhelm Bund to the SA/NSKK, they did this because they could see that the political future of Germany was in the hands of the NSDAP and they both wanted to be closely connected to it. They were soon disappointed, of course, when after actively supporting the public relations campaigns of the Party, both of them were shunted aside and nothing came of the reinstatement of the monarchy.

When looking through the history of the NSDAP, we see quite a few names of the titled nobility and aristocracy supporting Hitler from the early days; I guess the Hohenzollern family were not that unique in wanting to tie their coattails to a star ascending!

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                            X