Three brothers, one war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three brothers, one war

I was fortunate enough to obtain this little group that belongs to three brother from the Tomm family.

First we have Anton who started serving in Europe, then to Afrika and back to Europe.

First he was severy wounded ad received the Wound Badge in silver

Angel
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Angel Farré; 11-09-2012, 06:48 AM.
    Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

As he spent some time in the eastern front he recieved the Ostmedaille, what a change, from the heating desert to the frozen east.

Angel
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Angel Farré; 11-09-2012, 06:47 AM.
    Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Also being cooked in the desert has its reward and he won proudly this cufftitle in adition to the Ostmedaille ribbon.

Angel
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Angel Farré; 11-09-2012, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Also being cooked in the desert has its reward and he won proudly this cufftitle in dition to the Ostmedaille ribbon.

Angel

Comment

For his service in the Normandy front he received his last award, the KVK 2nd class with swords.

What a journey, west, Afrika, East and Normandy, who can ask for more.

Angel
          Attached Files

Comment

Now the one who didn't survive, Jakob, only two documents from him, the letter anouncing his death and a post war death certificate.

Angel
            Attached Files

Comment

The final one Peter, the only one we can put a face thanks to his ID

Angel
              Attached Files

Comment

He served in the Ostfront and received his IAB to prove his infantry service.

Angel
                Attached Files

Comment

He was brave enough to receive the EK II, unafortunately no other news of him after this.

Angel
                  Attached Files

Comment

So here we have a little part of history that marked a whole generation, we have one brother who suffered the war in all theaters, west, ost, desert and normady, other who paid the higher price and the last wo fought bravely for his fatherland, a whole generation with scars and memories who directed his life.

Angel

Comment

Very nice group, the 8. /Panzer-Grenadier Regiment was the first german unit that fought at Pegasus bridge against the Brits. I know a vet who served in the same unit. My vet knocked out the first Sherman tank in that area, near the Park where a Hospital is located. Maybe he knows him? I have to ask ...

Btw my vet is writing a book about his service in normandie. It will be published
                      in December. Maybe its for your interest now

Comment

bravery

A note on bravery. Not everyone receiving an Iron Cross 2nd Class necessarily needed to demonstrate bravery. Just being at the right spot at the right time might be sufficient. A vet I know told me that on one particular day in Normandy 1944 he returned after a few days of being in action to the company headquarters and found out that EK 2s had been awarded the previous day during a visit by the battalion commander. Since every combat soldier had been out engaged on the front lines the only personnel present to receive the awards were cooks and staff. And that they did while the Frontkaempfer were away fighting. Probably a number of annoyed soldiers afterwards, but so go the fortunes of war. My friend got his EK 2 later on.

Comment

When they write 'J.R. 107', does that mean Infanterie Rgt or Jäger Regt?
                          The death notice is strange, as it is prewritten, yet it also has a prewritten cause of death. I wonder if they had several types depending on the cause of death, or if all the killed were hit by tank fire?

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X