Post your "Signature identification needed" here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post your "Signature identification needed" here

Please post your requests for signature identification help here.

Please remember that when on a document to include a scan of the WHOLE document, not just the signature. It makes identification a whole lot easier.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Simon

Thanks for agreeing with my suggestion for this regular area. Reasons for showing signature AND document due to:

1) The majority of fakers can't read and as a result have wrong rank, unit, etc on their products.

2) I read a multi-replied reply thread about a certificate detailing paper, kind of stamp, etc. I finally saw the thread and more simple to asertain, the individual never received the award.

3) Having exhausted common desired examples to to forum confirmations, fakers have moved to lower level "invented personnel" signatures. With the whole document, at least for a lot of Waffen-SS, with unit/date/position listed under a signature most SS researchers can "reverse determine" who would have held the post or command (and rank). So even if unable to read the signature initially, knowing who it should be is generally enough to ID a faker.

4) BIG advice BEFORE buying documents is know who the signature should be or ask. I've seen to many here who buy combat decoration documents with no clue who who it is even supposed to be. In my mind that's like looking for mines by covering your ears and stamping your feet as you walk.

5) If you're going to spend hundreds (or more) for documents, spend under 100 on the numerous books available showing period examples of whatever unit, individual, etc you have interest in. Dagger collectors buy books as does every other facet of collecting. But this area seems the weakest with a higher percentage of buyers being separated from their hard earned dollars while buying something as valuable as a sheet of toilet paper. One of the best I saw was a group of 5: 3 real and 2 added fakes. Smiling dealers who talk well and pretend to be your buddy, fellow collector, "letting just you have it special price," are just a source of natural gas.

6) Looking at all collecting areas where individuals do the same, I'd seriously suggest anyone interested in documents, signatures, etc specialize. Knowledge is power. Years ago I met an individual via WAF, now a very close friend, who has always obtained with his brain instead of excitement. I've no doubt he has more signatures (photo or documents) of Waffen-SS Close Combat Clasp in Gold holders than anyone else. A far more rare award that the KC, etc. And few dealers have a remote clue who those men are, unit, etc so a lot were obtained "for a song."
    Last edited by Mark C. Yerger; 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I tried to get an ID on this once before and there were few takers. As this is a new pinned ID theme, I will have another shot before I .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1235334321.jpg

The second signature (right) is "Macholz" but I would like views on the left hand one from a Major. The unit is the OKH Heerewesenabteilung. The doc is a receipt for the funds found on the body of Oberstleutant W. Schrader after his suicide July 28.44.

Thanks

Colin
      Last edited by crfraser; 10-20-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

any ideas ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
          any ideas ?
          Mark,

I have no idea!

I like this pinned thread but could it within it have a pinned section of known examples of signatures or is too big a task, perhaps one already exists somewhere?

We could all chip in our pics to provide a database or would it be counter productive?

Jock

Comment

May be it could be " Wagner " ??

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
              May be it could be " Wagner " ??

Gerdan
              It is, found and confirmed

Many thanks

Comment

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Sturm Pi.Btl 43 commanding officer - from the back of an EK II citation dated 29th September 1941...

Comment

And one from Das Reich dated for 1944 and in a soldbuch to a member of II/SS-Pz.Rgt 2. I have looked through Mark C Yerger's Knights Of Steel and tried to check the Führerliste but not being sure what the first letter might be is proving to be a stumbling block...

Comment

Who's autograph is this? Document is dated July 9, 1934...

Comment

KVK w/Swords 2nd & 1st Class to a KM Officer

Would appreciate signature identification for the following two documents, please:

To Kaptlt. (Ing.) d.R Rudolf Moennich for -

1. KVK 2nd Class w/Swords signed by the "Generaladmiral und Kommandierender Admiral / Norwegen" and
                      2. KVK 1st Class w/Swords signed by "Kapitaen zur See u. Abt. Chef im MPA."

If possible, I would also like to know what "MPA" means.

John
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sturmabzeichen Award Document

Would appreciate signature identification for the following document to Unteroffizier Fritz Schmidt, as signed by "Generalmajor u.Div.-Kdr." of the "23rd. Panzer-Division", please.

John
                        Attached Files

Comment

Group of Award Documents - Heer

Would appreciate signature identification for the following three award documents to Grenadier/Gefreiten Georg Mahs, please:

1. Infanterie=Sturmabzeichen in Silber as signed by an Oberst u. Kdr.G.R. 507;

2. Eiserne Kreuz 2. Klasse as signed by a Generalmajor u. Div.Kdr.;

3. Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz as signed by a Hauptmann u. Btl.-Fuehrer.

Thank you and regards,

John
                          Attached Files

Comment

...and the third document:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jwburchell View Post
                              Would appreciate signature identification for the following three award documents to Grenadier/Gefreiten Georg Mahs, please:

1. Infanterie=Sturmabzeichen in Silber as signed by an Oberst u. Kdr.G.R. 507;

2. Eiserne Kreuz 2. Klasse as signed by a Generalmajor u. Div.Kdr.;

3. Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz as signed by a Hauptmann u. Btl.-Fuehrer.

Thank you and regards,

John
                              EK2: Gen Lt Richard John. Here: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...onen/292ID.htm RK Dec. '43
                              ISA: Oberst Hahne http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...nter/GR507.htm RK in Feb '42.

As a tip, when you have clearly defined units/and or stamps on docs (such as the EK2), about 5 mins of surfing on Lexikon der Wehrmacht will get you your answer.

It is tougher the deeper down you go in rank structure. Unless they're RK or DKiG winners, lots of lower ranks (such as the Hauptmann on the wound badge[which looks like Ferstera]) may often be one of the thousands of unknown "common" soldiers.

No malice intended; just trying to teach you to fish, instead of feeding you fish.

best
                              Last edited by Hank C.; 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM. Reason: more info
                              Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                              ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X